Gibson Brands Forums

Treble Pick up cut out.

BoyVader

Hi..was playing away quite happily and suddenly lost sound from treble pickup...nothing! Only got sound from neck pick up position when switching?

Took back plate off of switch and 'wiggled' wires and sound has come back to middle and treble positions...want to check wiring and solder joints etc, but can't really find any wiring info or diagrams (at least that I understand!)...it's a 2010 LP Trad...any help..in plain English\layman's terms, I'm not into technical drawings etc but if anyone can explain or help, it would be much appreciated.

I've just taped the wire into the back and it seems to be fine now but nor really a good fix.. [huh]

Just a small thought;

Can you make sure there is no build-up of 'muck' on any of the switch contacts which might be interfering with the signal? I had this happen on an old guitar.

Yours seems too new to have this problem but it's worth a look...

Spray-in a small amount of contact-cleaner or some such product and wiggle the thing clean.

P.

Just a small thought;

Can you make sure there is no build-up of 'muck' on any of the switch contacts which might be interfering with the signal? I had this happen on an old guitar.

Yours seems too new to have this problem but it's worth a look...

Spray-in a small amount of contact-cleaner or some such product and wiggle the thing clean.

P.

Could be a switch or wires or solder joint. Unless you're looking to develop that specific skill set, I'd suggest taking your new guitar to an authorized Gibson Repair Facility and letting them handle it under warranty.

Could be a switch or wires or solder joint. Unless you're looking to develop that specific skill set, I'd suggest taking your new guitar to an authorized Gibson Repair Facility and letting them handle it under warranty.

Yeah..its not the switch..I left it plugged in and in the treble position, took the switch back plate off and just moved the wires and the sound came back...so probably dodgy solder at one end, either switch or pickup...bought online so cant take back and would have to leave it for days no doubt for what is probably 2 minutes with a soldering iron...I live in Australia so it's easy to say take to authorized Gibson Repair Facility, but they aren't easy to find here..

If anyone has changed pups or has any tips? Thanks

Yeah..its not the switch..I left it plugged in and in the treble position, took the switch back plate off and just moved the wires and the sound came back...so probably dodgy solder at one end, either switch or pickup...bought online so cant take back and would have to leave it for days no doubt for what is probably 2 minutes with a soldering iron...I live in Australia so it's easy to say take to authorized Gibson Repair Facility, but they aren't easy to find here..

If anyone has changed pups or has any tips? Thanks

Well then. Self sufficiency is going to be the name of the game (unless there is a Tech available who will do the work while you wait). I'd pull the switch and closely examine the solder joints to see what you can see. A magnifying glass or a jewelers loupe would come in handy here. Since you got it working by moving the wire at the switch end, seems most likely that is the problem end. Also might want to try to isolate which wire, by wiggling them one at a time. And of course it could be a break inside the wire itself. Still could be the switch, but if you got it working by wiggling a wire, and that did not move the switch or a contact then I doubt it.

Archived