Gibson Brands Forums

deposit on 56 goldtop VOS

Guest Farnsbarns

Guest FarnsBarns

Hi Everyone,

My first post on here!

A pointless post as well, I needed to tell someone that I have just put a deposit on a 56 reissue GT VOS. I've wanted one for ages and last week a friend of my brothers decided he had to have my 2002 LP standard (2002 was a good year, original headstock angle and neck angle, no weight relief) I looked around to get a price point and realized that I pretty much had the only one for sale, anywhere. He had to have a 2002 so I agreed £2000 with him. The next day a friend of mine decided he had to have it and offered me £2500 if I could wait until March.

I called my brothers friend and gave him the bad news, he decided to offer £2400 but straight away. This I accepted, he transfered me money which cleared today and I have put a deposit on a VOS 56 CS RI LP GT w/P90s. I am going to GAK in Brighton UK (Great guys BTW) on Saturday to play it and pay the balance. I can't wait and don't think I will be able to sleep. I know, I know, I am a grown man, if that's possible, no wait, it isn't possible, we're all 12 really but I am 34, and I feel like a small boy anticipating a Xmas Present.

I'll post pix n stuff next week if that's the done thing around here?

Hi Everyone,

My first post on here!

A pointless post as well, I needed to tell someone that I have just put a deposit on a 56 reissue GT VOS. I've wanted one for ages and last week a friend of my brothers decided he had to have my 2002 LP standard (2002 was a good year, original headstock angle and neck angle, no weight relief) I looked around to get a price point and realized that I pretty much had the only one for sale, anywhere. He had to have a 2002 so I agreed £2000 with him. The next day a friend of mine decided he had to have it and offered me £2500 if I could wait until March.

I called my brothers friend and gave him the bad news, he decided to offer £2400 but straight away. This I accepted, he transfered me money which cleared today and I have put a deposit on a VOS 56 CS RI LP GT w/P90s. I am going to GAK in Brighton UK (Great guys BTW) on Saturday to play it and pay the balance. I can't wait and don't think I will be able to sleep. I know, I know, I am a grown man, if that's possible, no wait, it isn't possible, we're all 12 really but I am 34, and I feel like a small boy anticipating a Xmas Present.

You agreed on 2000 GBP with someone but then considered doing a deal with someone else for more money....? [crying]

I played a 2010 '56 VOS GT a few days ago...brilliant guitar. However I do not like the very light-coloured back and neck of this one. Vintage '56's had chocolate to dark brown backs and necks...I wonder if Gibson stil make 'em that way ?

Guest FarnsBarns

You agreed on 2000 GBP with someone but then considered doing a deal with someone else for more money....? [crying]

Hell yeah! He still had to come and see/play it, the conversation was more like ME: "I think I can get £2000 for it" HIM: "I can go with that, When can I come and try it?" so there was no handshake or anything, he hadn't actually agreed other than in principle, he'd heard third hand what a good example it was. Not claiming I wouldn't squeeze him or anyone one else for as much as possible in any circumstances, that's what defines the value of anything, what you can get for it, (If you have bought any new Gibson you'll know about that!) but it was alittle more gentlemanly than I made it sound.

They do a dark back. I actually prefer the light back aesthetically although if I could have got hold of a dark back I would have been torn between originality and my own aesthetic preferences so perhaps it is a good thing that there isn't a new dark back in the UK as far as I can see. Also I am very much loyal to my favourite shop and I would have had a hard time not going with them, it's all about the after sales service, knowledge, expertise, facilities and so on.

Over the last 20 years I have purchased a very cheap strat copy (First electric ever), paid for by my parents 20 years ago, an Epiphone SG (Now in the care of my Nephew), an Epi LP, an Epi Sheraton, a Dobro resonator (Pre Gibson), 3 Ozark Banjos, a Gibson Banjo, a Marshal TSL 60 head, a 1960a cab, a 1960b cab, a Yamaha MIDI keyboard, an M-Audio 10 track sound card, a Roland VST2400CD 24 track recorder, a custom studio loom, countless Mics, cables, pedals, a Zoom amp modeler and effect uint, loads of software, about a million strings, picks, slides and probably other kit I've forgotten about from them. In all that I have had one minor issue with one purchase and that was that the item I ordered was not in stock but was listed in stock on their website and they upgraded my purchase to an in stock item worth more than £100 more without question! They have always done setups and even small fret dressing for free. They have been very helpful with information, support, help and advice on the phone and that's without me telling them who I am or how muh I've spent, it's the standard service with these guys. I would have to be really in the proverbial poop to go elsewhere! Basically they are trying to take Thomann-dot-de (not giving that bunch a free link) on in Europe and they are well on the way now.

I can't say, yet, that I am happy with the tone of the LPGT because I haven't played it. Supposed to go and play it Saturday and then pay the balance if I want it. At the moment there is 3 foot snow drifts on my drive and no trains running for the last 48 hours so it looks as if I might be delaying. I am having Les Paul withdrawals as my 2002 standard went yesterday evening (Yes he drove to a local main road and walked a mile up a VERY steep hill in ice and snow to collect it) and I don't know now how long it will be before I can get the new replacement, I am going to cry if I can't get to Brighton on Saturday!

Hell yeah! He still had to come and see/play it, the conversation was more like ME: "I think I can get £2000 for it" HIM: "I can go with that, When can I come and try it?" so there was no handshake or anything, he hadn't actually agreed other than in principle, he'd heard third hand what a good example it was. Not claiming I wouldn't squeeze him or anyone one else for as much as possible in any circumstances, that's what defines the value of anything, what you can get for it, (If you have bought any new Gibson you'll know about that!) but it was alittle more gentlemanly than I made it sound.

They do a dark back. I actually prefer the light back aesthetically although if I could have got hold of a dark back I would have been torn between originality and my own aesthetic preferences so perhaps it is a good thing that there isn't a new dark back in the UK as far as I can see. Also I am very much loyal to my favourite shop and I would have had a hard time not going with them, it's all about the after sales service, knowledge, expertise, facilities and so on.

Over the last 20 years I have purchased a very cheap strat copy (First electric ever), paid for by my parents 20 years ago, an Epiphone SG (Now in the care of my Nephew), an Epi LP, an Epi Sheraton, a Dobro resonator (Pre Gibson), 3 Ozark Banjos, a Gibson Banjo, a Marshal TSL 60 head, a 1960a cab, a 1960b cab, a Yamaha MIDI keyboard, an M-Audio 10 track sound card, a Roland VST2400CD 24 track recorder, a custom studio loom, countless Mics, cables, pedals, a Zoom amp modeler and effect uint, loads of software, about a million strings, picks, slides and probably other kit I've forgotten about from them. In all that I have had one minor issue with one purchase and that was that the item I ordered was not in stock but was listed in stock on their website and they upgraded my purchase to an in stock item worth more than £100 more without question! They have always done setups and even small fret dressing for free. They have been very helpful with information, support, help and advice on the phone and that's without me telling them who I am or how muh I've spent, it's the standard service with these guys. I would have to be really in the proverbial poop to go elsewhere! Basically they are trying to take Thomann-dot-de (not giving that bunch a free link) on in Europe and they are well on the way now.

I can't say, yet, that I am happy with the tone of the LPGT because I haven't played it. Supposed to go and play it Saturday and then pay the balance if I want it. At the moment there is 3 foot snow drifts on my drive and no trains running for the last 48 hours so it looks as if I might be delaying. I am having Les Paul withdrawals as my 2002 standard went yesterday evening (Yes he drove to a local main road and walked a mile up a VERY steep hill in ice and snow to collect it) and I don't know now how long it will be before I can get the new replacement, I am going to cry if I can't get to Brighton on Saturday!

Hi...I'm glad things worked out for you. Do not worry...you'll love the GT ! Wonderful guitars... Please let us know.. [rolleyes] .

Guest FarnsBarns

Not a "pointless post" at all! Well, maybe, if you don't follow up with pix after it arrives.

(I gotta get me a gold top....)

I have got it. Collected on Saturday. The vos finish is more subtle than I thought, I love it! The tone is everything I expected, there is a whole handful of neck and the action is better than expected. I took some pictures with my phone but they were pretty poor. I'll take some decent ones and post them soon.

Guest FarnsBarns

Well, these are the best photos I have for now, I have a photographer mate coming around soon and he's always after something interesting to photograph so some nice arty shots coming soon. Here's what I've got...

post-27541-075795200 1291757658_thumb.jpg

post-27541-079218000 1291757797_thumb.jpg

Well, these are the best photos I have for now, I have a photographer mate coming around soon and he's always after something interesting to photograph so some nice arty shots coming soon. Here's what I've got...

post-27541-075795200 1291757658_thumb.jpg

post-27541-079218000 1291757797_thumb.jpg

Congrats..I bet you like it a lot and can't put it down. :D Mine is a 2010 with a lightback...really beautiful and top-quality guitars.

What amp do you use ?

Guest FarnsBarns

Yeah, mines a 2010 light back too.

You are right, I can't put it down, my fingers and wrist hurt but I keep going back and playing it some more. I'm self employed and it has cost me 50% more than I paid for it in lost billable hours.

I have a Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 and a 1960a cab. I'm not sure it suits the p90s actually and might look for something a bit more mellow and vintage sounding for the bluesy stuff.

What you using?

Hi Everyone,

My first post on here!

I agree, GAK give great service

I even ran a risk and got my Firebird from them by mail order

It came with great set-up which is still operative 2 years on

:-({|=

V

Yeah, mines a 2010 light back too.

You are right, I can't put it down, my fingers and wrist hurt but I keep going back and playing it some more. I'm self employed and it has cost me 50% more than I paid for it in lost billable hours.

I have a Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 and a 1960a cab. I'm not sure it suits the p90s actually and might look for something a bit more mellow and vintage sounding for the bluesy stuff.

What you using?

I'm using a vintage Vox AC30. Here's a pic...the one on the left is a '65 AC10,then a '64 AC30 and a '62 AC30. These are excellent for Les Pauls and in particular for P90's

DSCN0384.jpg

Guest FarnsBarns

Ah vox ac30, I had one! a 72, It's a sad tale, I swapped it for a load of other gear and then the guy who had it took it to cash converters and sold it for 80 quid : o. That was before I got into LPs so I never tried it. Very expensive now, I looked at a 60s example for 1200 pounds the other day. Maybe next year sometime.

Archived