Gibson Brands Forums

Covers

surfpup

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surfpup...

Actually I had a Leadbelly recording - long gone thanks to a fire - that didn't even have the same tune. Same words, way different tune.

But I think there was a longtime tendency "long ago" to do that sorta thing.

m

Surfpup...

Actually I had a Leadbelly recording - long gone thanks to a fire - that didn't even have the same tune. Same words, way different tune.

But I think there was a longtime tendency "long ago" to do that sorta thing.

m

Very true. I have encountered that with other songs as well - not just blues, but bluegrass too. Things were

pretty loose back then. Of course one could look at modern-day sampling as an extension of the tradition

of doing "versions". (If one wanted to look at it as such) [biggrin] Shame you lost that record.

Surfpup...

Couldn't help losing the record, the first I bought with guitar in mind.

I almost got fried along with all my albums. Well, probably not fried. Roasted would be more like it. Firemen told me I hadda have an angel on my shoulder 'cuz I shoulda been ... gone...

m

Surfpup...

Couldn't help losing the record, the first I bought with guitar in mind.

I almost got fried along with all my albums. Well, probably not fried. Roasted would be more like it. Firemen told me I hadda have an angel on my shoulder 'cuz I shoulda been ... gone...

m

Whew! Small price to pay then. Besides you have that recording in your head where it matters. It's all

part of that deep well of song that you call on so frequently here on the forum. BTW, have you considered

an auto-biography yet, Milod? You've got a slew of material! (And a few photographs as well I imagine).

Surfpup...

Re photos... Hey, it's like the plumber's home has lousy pipes. I don't have much in the way of photos compared to most folks. When you live pretty much with a camera attached to your body for years...

Autobiography? I doubt that too. Nobody'd pay for it and it'd probably be better for me to keep working as I've done and pick a bit on the side until I drop. <grin> But that's mostly how I've felt since I was a kid, so...

m

Archived