Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson '60s neck vs Epi Sheraton neck shape

EADGBE

Hello,

My favourite neck is the Gibson '60s profile, like SG '61 reissue or modern Les Pauls with '60s neck. The 30/60 of an ES339 feels good too. I've been offered an older Korean (80's or 90's) Epiphone Sheraton II, but I've never played a one and before deciding on driving to check it out, I'd like to know if the neck is close to the '60s Gibby neck? Anyone who owns a Sheraton? Other experience?

Hello,

My favourite neck is the Gibson '60s profile, like SG '61 reissue or modern Les Pauls with '60s neck. The 30/60 of an ES339 feels good too. I've been offered an older Korean (80's or 90's) Epiphone Sheraton II, but I've never played a one and before deciding on driving to check it out, I'd like to know if the neck is close to the '60s Gibby neck? Anyone who owns a Sheraton? Other experience?

Gibson necks are hand made for the most part......It will be similar, but not the same.....different shape..

I've played a Sheraton but don't own one......others will know better...

Also depends on which Sheraton...Korean, Chinese, Elitist (Japan), or AIUSA.

Even among those, they'll vary a bit. They are generally, more '60's like,

than '50's. My AIUSA Sheraton is certainly slim, like a 60's neck, but has

a great feeling, all it's own.

You're already thinking about doing what most would advise...going to see/play it.

Good luck!

CB

Thanks for insights. What I like in the '60s necks is not just the "slimness" but the flat back and "wide shoulder", sort of rounded square instead of round feel if you know what I mean. I find this pretty unique in those Gibson necks, slim and beefy at the same time depending how you grip it...

Thanks for insights. What I like in the '60s necks is not just the "slimness" but the flat back and "wide shoulder", sort of rounded square instead of round feel if you know what I mean. I find this pretty unique in those Gibson necks, slim and beefy at the same time depending how you grip it...

Ok...then I would say, the Sheraton necks are not flat backed, or a "rounded square," as you prefer.

They are more slim rounded, in nature. At least the one's I've played. But, for me...they take very

little getting "used to," at all. I certainly Love mine!

CB

LOL...just did a comparison, between my Sheraton, and my Gretsch Country Gent.

Almost identical neck shape, with the Sheri being slightly smaller feeling, overall.

But, only slightly so. So, maybe if you're familiar with Gretsch necks, the Sheri

would be more like that, than a '61 LPSG, or Les Paul "Classic," which has that

more squared off feeling.

CB

Ok...then I would say, the Sheraton necks are not flat backed, or a "rounded square," as you prefer.

They are more slim rounded, in nature. At least the one's I've played. But, for me...they take very

little getting "used to," at all. I certainly Love mine!

CB

EADGBE (That's a pretty cool user name. Wonder why none of us other guitar players thought of that?) [confused].

I have a 2005 Korean made Sheraton II and I have to agree with CB, they are sort of slim-rounded. I would

say more toward a 60's style than the "baseball bat" rounded 50's style. But you should really go try one for yourself.

I'm not particularly fond of the newer one piece necks on current Chinese Sheratons. And as others have said, guitar necks

can vary, even in the same style guitar. That's why it's always best to try one our "hands-on" before you buy a guitar.

Archived