Gibson Brands Forums

SG Special VS SG Special Faded

acdcman2345

hey there everyone.... i was looking at the epiphone 1966 g400. then i thought id looked at the SG specials. i think im going to get alot more vlue for just $300 bucks. i was looking at the SG special and the sg special Faded. from what i was reading everything is the same. except the finish? am i correct? i own a epiphone g400 faded now. im looking to get away from the brown wood look. lol i think the faded cherry is enough. just wont to make sure im not scrwing myself over. i also figured i could get crome covers for the humbuckers correct? wondering what everyone thinks is the paint worth the $300. it wont play different with paint i dont think...rigth? hope to hear some good feed back

have a good day everyone..

-Shaine-

hey there everyone.... i was looking at the epiphone 1966 g400. then i thought id looked at the SG specials. i think im going to get alot more vlue for just $300 bucks. i was looking at the SG special and the sg special Faded. from what i was reading everything is the same. except the finish? am i correct? i own a epiphone g400 faded now. im looking to get away from the brown wood look. lol i think the faded cherry is enough. just wont to make sure im not scrwing myself over. i also figured i could get crome covers for the humbuckers correct? wondering what everyone thinks is the paint worth the $300. it wont play different with paint i dont think...rigth? hope to hear some good feed back

have a good day everyone..

-Shaine-

I have yet to see a "special faded" marked down. But, I purchased a marked down "special" in wine red for my daughter $759 w/ gig bag. It had a very light swirl mark in the finish that I noticed when inspecting real close before buying, but haven't noticed it since. I have seen other non faded specials marked down also.

It must be due to the same issue you raise about the extra cash. It's a tweener, do you settle for a little less $ on a faded or a little more $ for a standard. The special holds up real well visually with a standard, the dots and lack of pickup covers not withstanding. When my daughters guitar teacher plays his heritage cherry standard side by side with her wine red special they appear very comparable.

I think the extra money is well spent. And if you can find a deal it's even sweeter. Also, look for that used standard.

Archived