Gibson Brands Forums

2001 info if it's out there

Roxxas049

Hello all,

I'm new to the forums, this is my first post, but I have read some of the others and did a few searches for my question, but since I can't find what I'm looking for in previous posts I'll make my own.

I have a 2001 g400, just bought it from a guy who knew nothing about the guitar before he bought it. The issue I'm having is with the kluson type tuners on it, 2 of them are failing and I want to replace all 6 of them but I

really would prefer not to use the same brand/style tuners as the ones on it now. I am also pretty far from any guitar techs at the moment and was wondering if there are any other brands/models of tuners that bolt right on to the

2001 models without any modding to the headstock?

for information purposes the tuners bolt onto the headstock with screw at the top and bottom of each and use bushings through the top.

thanks in adavance.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

It would probably help if you could post a pic of the headstock. What kind of tuners were you thinking of replacing them with? The Grovers that most Epi's come with now would probably drop right in, but they only have one screw at the bottom where as the "vintage" style have a screw at the top and bottom, so they might leave a hole showing.

Kinda funny, I'm about to replace the Grovers on my G-400 with vintage style ones. I just like the look better.

Hey welcome to the forums! about the guitar, whats the serial number? any pics?

I would recommend putting grover rotomatics, but the woulf need you to drill in some holes.

not too sure if there are any other tuners that arent like the kluson ones that use the same holes.

does the headstock look like this?

G400-CH_headstock-front.jpg

Yep that's exactly what my headstock looks like. I'd post pics but the wife has my camera atm. In any case I will post pics soon and thanks for the welcome.

As for choice of brand I would probably limit my choices to something that would fit right in without any drilling if that's possible.

Rox - Welcome to "Da Forum" - Tony Soprano will be visiting you

shortly.... [biggrin]

Looking at ALL the pics in this thread, I'm trying to determine if the

Tuners indeed have a "press-fit" bushing on top, or a HEX Threaded bushing.

LOOKS like press-fit.

Typical Press-Fit diameter (in MY experience) is 8mm.

Typical HEX/Epi Grover is 10mm, but not sure WHICH size was used in 2001. [confused]

Only way to nail it down is to actually measure the hole. I DID check on-line

for info regarding Kluson Diameter - Sez 25/64ths = 9.9219mm. (basically, 10mm).

I upgraded both my EPI LPs with "Gibson Deluxe Tulip Tuners", sourced thru ebay [scared] .

That was about 1.5 years ago - I believe my only "extra" work was to barely sand the inside

of the tuner hole to get a smooth drop-in.

IF you are an ebayer, check out this link, and immediately throw the High-Dollar ones in the

Trash - those folks be smoking too much "coffee". I see 5 or 6 possible candidates that are

currently a decent price.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=gibson+deluxe+tuners&_sacat=See-All-Categories

MINE:

100_0468-1.jpg

100_0471-1-1.jpg

Thanks for the info, mine are definitely not the hex type. Looks like I'll have to stick with something stock. Funny, but a friend of mine looked at the two tuners I was referring to and he said they will be ok, but it almost looks like the post is getting pulled right out of the hole. The other 4 look normal.

Thanks again

The issue I'm having is with the kluson type tuners on it, 2 of them are failing and I want to replace all 6 of them but I really would prefer not to use the same brand/style tuners as the ones on it now.

What do you mean by "failing"?

Many tuner mechanisms can be repaired by replacing the gear grease inside.

At ten years old, that would be a normal and expected maintenance task....

What I mean by failing is that two of the posts are almost pulled out of the holes completely, they sit at about " / " that angle to the headstock instead of " | " when the string is wound and in tune. I haven't taken them apart to see what's going on in there yet though.

Archived