Gibson Brands Forums

New (old) guy with New (2 him) Dot

bobmc

Hi all,

Just got an 04 Dot off ebay and am over the moon. I have been playing and modding guitars for decades (I worked 10 years in a guitar shop as well) and bought this with intention of modding, but I am knocked out by neck PUP (plugged into tweed Prince, 5E3 clone); although the bridge PUP sounds weak (almost like it's bad or going bad) I really only use the neck and combined sounds. Full, big boned tone with great definition. I did not expect to like this guitar as much as I do.

I guess I will replace the bridge PUP eventually I have many to choose from in parts drawer including set of Gibson burstbuckers, old Dimarzios, Duncans and GFS Dream/Mean 90s.

Q1: What are the stock PUPs? I was assuming ceramic.

Q2: She came with full size pots and a 'good' switch (meaning not an closed box switch); standard?

Q3: Cosmetically, do you think the amber knobs are too dark for natural finish? I do wish she was one or two shades darker.

Q4: Again, cosmetically I have always liked nickel better, but who else thinks the chrome is a better match?

Q5: Any suggestions/experiences on replacement nut source? I see a preslotted 43mm bone one available.

Q3: Cosmetically, do you think the amber knobs are too dark for natural finish? I do wish she was one or two shades darker.

Q5: Any suggestions/experiences on replacement nut source? I see a preslotted 43mm bone one available.

Congrats. Show us pics!

A3: I am thinking of changing the amber knobs on my natural finish Dot to black knobs, but there's no rush.

A5: I recently bought a GraphTech Black TUSQ Slotted Nut For Epiphone, #PT-6060-00 off of ebay for $10. It is similar to the white one I installed in my Les Paul, but I wanted a black one for the Dot. I have not had a chance to install it yet.

Q1: What are the stock PUPs? I was assuming ceramic.

Q2: She came with full size pots and a 'good' switch (meaning not an closed box switch); standard?

Congrats, I love my dot. The stock pickups are what Epiphone calls "57 classic humbucker" and it is the same pickup in the bridge and neck positions. I think they are alnico, although some places on the web say ceramic.

I think the "good" switches are standard now.

Dr. Epiphone has the low down on all this, see the video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tubMSGudX_E

Thanks folks!

I saw a similar TUSQ nut as well, but it was 43.99mm long and I thought the Dot was under 43mm (guitar is at home, I'm shopping at work I need to measure). I do like the TUSQ products and have used them many times.

Icing on the cake is I sold an Ibanez Artcore to buy this and I broke even to the penny. The Ibby was decent, but the Dot is a superior guitar.

That guitar had mini pots, a low quality switch and lesser PUPs. Just about every post on the Dot I found online has folks swapping electronics out, but no need for that, one less project for me!

I saw a similar TUSQ nut as well, but it was 43.99mm long and I thought the Dot was under 43mm (guitar is at home, I'm shopping at work I need to measure). I do like the TUSQ products and have used them many times.

All the Tusq nuts I've used as replacements were overlength, I figured so you could file/sand the ends down to match your neck exactly. The most important measurement lengthwise, it seems to me, would be the 'E to e' string spacing.

Yes, the TUSQ nut is too long and a bit too high, so it needs to be sanded/filed. The string spacing and the slots for the strings are correct, however, which is the hard part. In other words, you're not starting with a blank nut, having to file a slot for each string to the right depth and shape.

Good advice guys. I replaced the nut on that Artcore I traded for this guitar and had to shape it. I used a preslotted bone nut and kept the dust in a bag for other nut repairs. I have this nightmare where I am explaining to a CSI team why I have a bag of bone dust (labeled "bone dust" BTW).

You guys will vouch for me right?

Archived