Gibson Brands Forums

Recording music

A.J.

I bought an eight track recorder not too long ago and I've been putting some ideas down on the recorder. I've got enough ideas to make about eight songs, ranging from drop D to 12 bars blues. Do most of you guys just play the guitar or do you play a lot of other things or try to record material? I imagine some of you are in bands and stuff. I'm not, yet. I've been thinking about it.

Hey AJ,

I have started recording, mainly doing solo stuff for recording, just with a single Blue Yeti mic that plugs in thru USB. Recording is a whole different game than just playing, I found that out with my drummer.

I'm working on learning as many instruments as I can, it can never hurt. Try and post some stuff up if you can, but my music sounds eclectic just like yours. I have some drop tuned grunge, thrash metal much to my chagrin as my drummer wanted me to play it, but most of it is standard blues rock with influences from Black Keys, Foo Fighters and White Stripes with some QOTSA thrown in for taste [biggrin]

Good luck man

Hey AJ,

I have started recording, mainly doing solo stuff for recording, just with a single Blue Yeti mic that plugs in thru USB. Recording is a whole different game than just playing, I found that out with my drummer.

I'm working on learning as many instruments as I can, it can never hurt. Try and post some stuff up if you can, but my music sounds eclectic just like yours. I have some drop tuned grunge, thrash metal much to my chagrin as my drummer wanted me to play it, but most of it is standard blues rock with influences from Black Keys, Foo Fighters and White Stripes with some QOTSA thrown in for taste [biggrin]

Good luck man

Word! I love, love, love the Black Keys! I'm not that good at any one instrument and I just began recording like a week ago. I've got mostly two part guitar work down so far. I've got to clear up some messed up notes and stuff where the feed back made me jump. I can tell you this, it feels incredibly awesome to be able to sit down and "write" my material down and be able to hear it. I'm not a good guitarist but I try and my recordings so far and my ideas are pretty awesome... to me at least lol.

Black Keys are probably my favorite band, and have been for the past year or so. I'm seeing em in about a week, so toked.

It's always cool when you record something, and you hear it played back. I've released a couple of songs and played them for people and every time it gives me goose bumps.

Congrats man [thumbup]

Send ShredAstair a PM. He records multiple instruments, include canned drums, I believe.

I play bass and guitar and will do my own vocals but have yet to get them all successfully into the same track [blush]

I am "teh suck" at recording.

Send ShredAstair a PM. He records multiple instruments, include canned drums, I believe.

I play bass and guitar and will do my own vocals but have yet to get them all successfully into the same track [blush]

I am "teh suck" at recording.

I thought I would be too but it isn't as bad as I thought, but then again it's my opinion and someone else may think it's crap! Lol. I'm teh suck at everything else though!

I bought an eight track recorder not too long ago and I've been putting some ideas down on the recorder. I've got enough ideas to make about eight songs, ranging from drop D to 12 bars blues. Do most of you guys just play the guitar or do you play a lot of other things or try to record material? I imagine some of you are in bands and stuff. I'm not, yet. I've been thinking about it.

I atempt to record stuff to but it always come out as crap. because I dont have a good mic its just a standerd computer mic duct taped to a boom.

and pluse I ONLY play guitar and alittle bass and some vocals so... yea.and iv been thinking about joining a band to.oh yea whats your recorder brand?

I atempt to record stuff to but it always come out as crap. because I dont have a good mic its just a standerd computer mic duct taped to a boom.

and pluse I ONLY play guitar and alittle bass so... yea.and iv been thinking about joining a band to.oh yea whats your recorder brand?

It's a Fostex MR-8 eight track. I've been thinking about upgrading to a TASCAM DP-02 with built-in CD burner. I'd like to have a Boss 1200CD (I think that's the nomenclature), but they're too expensive for my taste. I can get that TASCAM and do what I need to do for about 350 dollars, U.S.

It's a Fostex MR-8 eight track. I've been thinking about upgrading to a TASCAM DP-02 with built-in CD burner. I'd like to have a Boss 1200CD (I think that's the nomenclature), but they're too expensive for my taste. I can get that TASCAM and do what I need to do for about 350 dollars, U.S.

i have several multi-tracks, i guess i collect them. [biggrin] The DP-02 is a really good recorder, limited IMO only by the number of simultaneous INs. file transfer to/from PC or Mac and editing on the unit itself is not too difficult, almost fun. ESPECIALLY fun if you are a human metronome and can track in beats/bars. :)

i also have and like the DP-008, somewhat feature lean compared to the DP-02 but much more portable.

FWIW, i highly recommend David Wills' training DVDs: I've purchased them for several pieces of gear, and the guy is really good at getting you into the features. search for him online.

good luck and have fun!

Don

Hi AJ

I use Protools for recording at home. Since I am a one man band (for now), I record my ideas (drums, bass, guitars and vocals). If I liked what came out of that, I go into a professional recording studio with a good producer for a professional sound quality.

Mayer

Hi AJ

I use Protools for recording at home. Since I am a one man band (for now), I record my ideas (drums, bass, guitars and vocals). If I liked what came out of that, I go into a professional recording studio with a good producer for a professional sound quality.

Mayer

That Video you posted was excellent!

There are two main purposes for recording yourself in today's world, as far as I'm concerned.

First there's the "just for you." Nothing helps a practice session much more, IMHO, than letting yourself hear what you're really doing rather than what you think you're doing. Even in a band situation, what you do and what you think you do are two different things. Is this intro too short or too long; does it fit; is Billy (the drummer) too gentle or too loud. Should we change how we use the PA? Or....

Second, it's for other people for a myriad of reasons. I've sent stuff to my little sister (OK, she's a grandma; we're not exactly kids) that I'd not put on youtube, for example. I have no idea to "sell" anything, but it's fun to swap stuff. Some folks may want to solidify a piece a bit more and do that. Some don't care that much about sound quality in general, but want to ensure a potential customer/saloon has an idea what their show would be like if hired.

If it's "just for you," I'd ease up a bit.

I've put a cupla things on Youtube that I'm not sure would be that much better for computer speakers if done with pro stuff - and it's a $70 USB interface from an inexpensive A-E Kustom amp that has both an inexpensive mike and the guitar run through it.

m

It depends on my mood. Since I am in the space at least once a week with my drummer I usually just lay down guitar and if I am in a super creative mood I'll noodle some leads over the whole thing. It has been a while since my biggest focus has been lyrics and vocals. A few months ago I got over my I-cannot-sing-cause-my-voice-sucks so I started adding to the 24+ songs my drummer and I have written.

I used to record a lot more drums (I play drums and guitar OK). Now that I am getting into singing I think a lot more of my demos will have guitar and vocals. Down the road it'll be bass. As bad as my guitar playing and drumming is, my bass playing is super crappy. Bass has always been the road block to that solo album.

A.J., I've recorded at home using my computer, and Acid Pro which is a mixing software. I play and record guitar and bass. For drums, I've used Drum Tools which has tons of loops that you can manipulate as you need, plus they're true recorded drums. I have free

access to Pro Tools, which is an amazing opportunity I've yet to take (what am I, waiting for? :huh: ).

Hope your recording experience is a fun one.

Archived