Gibson Brands Forums

Daughters came to me and said "teach me guitar dad'

swleary

Yes Milod, I hear ya. I was talking more about families who are not well-versed in guitars and just go pick up the cheapest thing they can find, then wonder why their kid loses interest. If people would get their kids a decent guitar right off the bat, the kids would stand a fighting chance. Of course Scott's daughter doesn't have to worry about this scenario. I was just on my own personal little unrelated rant [biggrin]

BTW I asked her age because she seems young (like in her 11-12s?) and most of my students are that age, and I find it interesting that at that age girls are more willing to learn to play than boys. Boys just wanna learn to play that cool metallica solo, while girls want to learn to play and be able to play whatever's in their mind and heart (which is cool IMO). [thumbup]

Karen...

I hear yah... and agree 99 percent of the time.

I think too many parents just get a "big box store" cheapy and don't think whether the piece is playable - and if they did, they don't know enough to help make it so. Ditto most beginners, I think, if they don't do much research. Yeah, I'm pointing at me on that one.

I tend to point fingers at the stores on that one, though, and staff who know less about the guitars in bright boxes than nuclear physics.

Odd thing, if you look down into Gibson's "Maestro" line's section of the forum, these "cheapies" actually can be adjusted or modded into pretty decent pieces - but my own guess is that most end up beaten up, left in closets and dumped. I find that sad for something that actually can be quite playable. Inappropriate strings and "setup," poor instruction DVDs and such are perhaps all part of the problem, too.

Ditto some of the less expensive Epis and some of their better competition.

A lot better stuff potentially is there for beginners - to me it's the sales chain that makes it difficult for beginners, not basic potential quality of the guitars themselves compared to 50 years ago.

EDIT: I love your newest avatar pix! In Alberta with your horse?

m

Thundergod, Yes my daughter is 11. She has grown around music most of her life. She just wants to play and have fun with it. I'm just there to guide her and being very patient with her. I like what she said tonight about me, she said I was a good teacher and I'm great on the guitar. I take that as a very big compliment from her ( drug testing for her tomorrow lol)

Milod and Gilliangirl, both of you are on to something here. If you have the proper tools then learning will be so much more enjoyable and rewarding. Karen, I knew you were just blowing off steam lol. Oh and don't get me started about the lack of musical programs in Canadian schools.

I really hope later on down the road my daughter hangs on to just playing and having fun. That's what it really is all about, heck I think I suck at guitar but I love it so who cares. If she does continue with it and progresses nicely with a formal teacher then just maybe my Traditional will become hers one day. Keep it in the family cause I'll be getting an R8 lol.....

I think she has really good hands for classical, I feel that would be her best bet however it's her choice.

If you think she has an aptitude for classical guitar, look up some of Segovia's master classes on Youtube and watch with her. One of them is on Bach's Chaconne (originally for violin) and there's a lady student and the master discusses her finger stretch and proper left hand positioning.

Friend of mine who plays pro guitar has two high school daughters that play guitar. He helped them play up to a point - and kinda left it up to them how much further to go with it. We'll see.

Another friend is starting to turn over his band that fed a pretty good size family over to his 30-something daughter.

m

If you think she has an aptitude for classical guitar, look up some of Segovia's master classes on Youtube and watch with her. One of them is on Bach's Chaconne (originally for violin) and there's a lady student and the master discusses her finger stretch and proper left hand positioning.

Friend of mine who plays pro guitar has two high school daughters that play guitar. He helped them play up to a point - and kinda left it up to them how much further to go with it. We'll see.

Another friend is starting to turn over his band that fed a pretty good size family over to his 30-something daughter.

m

I personally love classical but it's always going to be my daughters call really. I'm not sure about the aptitude of her yet. So far she is like a sponge and remembering quite well through repetition. Classical would be amazing, I took classical on bass for four years and still play quite a bit of it. Would be nice to see her play some Bach :)We'll just have to wait and see ......

So proud of her, already has learned A,G,C,D chords today. SO now she pretty much can play any Beatles song [flapper]

Then clearly you're teaching wrong then.

Any Stones song maybe. I know were just busting a bit .

This might help her understanding.

bout the structure of their songs Nick Stone Wrote : "The band itself had a love-hate relationship with previously established harmonic rules and conventions of composing."

(Nick Love born in Wiesbaden, Germany is currently an independent scholar and musician)

"In the Beatles' songs we find more than just the occasional trick chord of rock 'n' roll and rhythm and blues.(But) It's not the chords themselves, but the chord sequences that are at the core of the sound of the Beatles. Every typical Beatles' song has at least one rather unconventional chord progression. Often there are more and sometimes the chord sequences even come close to endangering the songs' musical comprehensibility. There is, however, some kind of harmonic structure beneath these remarkable chord progressions, preventing this to happen. The Beatles always seemed to enjoy importing some unusual notes into their melodies. These special notes clearly are related to their harmonies. Many Beatles' experts have pointed at these chord sequences as the key to the group's musical innovations. Often the successful harmonic ventures of the Beatles are treated as isolated feats and features which can be traced back to their European roots.

The chords in their songs add up to incredible numbers - at least in respect to conventional musicological theory. On average there are 8.24 chords per song for the forty-six early originals the Beatles performed on record from 1962 till the end of 1964. For all the songs of the Beatles' canon Harry Klaassen and Piet Schreuders (1997) estimate a mean of 9 chords, peaking at a maximum of 21 chords for McCartney's 'You Never Give Me Your Money.' From a musicological perspective such an overload of chords threatens to make a song sound false by endangering the key. On this point almost any Beatles' song can serve as an example. 'I Want To Hold Your Hand' was one of the first example. It is the same song that evoked Roger McGuinn to say: 'The words weren't so meaningful but the chord changes really had magic in them' (Muni, Somach & Somach, 1989: 168) Bob Dylan reacted in a similar way, by remarking: 'They were doing things nobody was doing. Their chords were outrageous, just outrageous, and their harmonies made it all valid' (Scaduto, 1973: 203-204).

As Kramarz (1983) observes, "the use of incidental chords in popular music is not new in itself. The unusual amount of these chords, however, certainly is innovative, as are the chord sequences themselves"

Like wrote Nick Stone, "Pollack's work highlights the specific harmonic and melodic idiosyncrasies that make their work unique and groundbreaking"

Good info Cookieman.I read something very similiar to that in a magazine. To put it simply, the Beatles played on the edge and broke the rules without going over. Good read :)

Btw I knew you'd be checking my thread and maybe that's why I mentioned the Beatles lol

Archived