Gibson Brands Forums

SJ or J45?

BernardShakey

Hi all, long time lurker first time poster. I read this forum alot and I think you guys are the best people to ask...

I've had a Martin HD28 for a while now and I want to take the plunge and get a second acoustic to complement it. Now, my friend has a Standard J45 and I like that it sounds totally different to my Martin...like chalk and cheese. Now throw into the mix the fact that I've fell in love with the Southern Jumbo and its good looks. I really like the WG model and it seems I'd be able to get one pretty easily, but I wouldn't be able to try before I buy (total leap of faith and not something I'd usually do).

My question is this...how different are the J45 and SJ tonally? I see the specs are slightly different and I understand that the SJ seems to be quite similar to the J45, only with more 'bling'.

Any ideas/advice or opinions from you guys would really help. :)

Firstly, welcome to the forum, good to have you here !

In terms of tonal difference, if all things are the same in terms of woods, age they should not sound different at all ... well, to the extent that you will never find two identical sounding Gibsons.

Unless Im wrong its just the bling. Personally I love the look of the SJ and wish i had a sunburst Gibson ... one day.

cheers.

Firstly, welcome to the forum, good to have you here !

In terms of tonal difference, if all things are the same in terms of woods, age they should not sound different at all ... well, to the extent that you will never find two identical sounding Gibsons.

Unless Im wrong its just the bling. Personally I love the look of the SJ and wish i had a sunburst Gibson ... one day.

cheers.

Thanks! :)

How many current models of Southern Jumbo are there? So far I've read about the Aaron Lewis Signature and the Woodie Guthrie...is there a standard and a VOS?

Thanks! :)

How many current models of Southern Jumbo are there? So far I've read about the Aaron Lewis Signature and the Woodie Guthrie...is there a standard and a VOS?

Yes, there is a standard (modern classic) and also a True Vinate model.

Here is an example of a modern classic, lovelly tone, would complement your Martin ideall i imagine.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_southern_jumbo.htm

Aldo, if you run a search query under Souther Jumbo on the forum there will be a number of really good threads that discussed this particular model.

Hello Bernard. I've also recently joined after lurking for some months. I think we've both entered the fray with the same initial question. You'll find a lot of related information in the 'All I want for Christmas is a machine that kills fascists (and banjos)' thread. Ignore my long ramble and read the informative answers!

BernardShakey! Let's see....Ummm.....BernardShakey + Martin HD-28 = Neil Young fan! I hear ya Brother!!! In regards to your question, the SJ is a J-45 with the extra bling. I have heard some that the back bracing is slightly different in the two. Whether it makes a big difference in tone, I don't know. I do know that I love my True Vintage SJ. Absolutely the finest acoustic guitar that I've ever played.

Archived