Gibson Brands Forums

Received SG Express as a late Christmas Gift

cjlandry

Edit (from post #7):

My biggest mistake was not replacing the strings first!

I put a set of D'addario EXL110's on it, and it cleaned right up. Even has good intonation.

Still not the sound of a full-bodied, full scale guitar, but much better than my first impression. I'm starting to have fun with this thing!

I may need to raise the action a bit, though, because it doesn't like a strong pick attack. Tends to buzz a little unless I keep the picking moderate.

It certainly sounds a lot better now, and it will be my new travel guitar.

I'm debating whether to restring it and see if that helps, or just return it to Musician's Friend.

Bad news CJ, I was hoping these would turn out to be a good little travel guitar, which is, I suspect, why you bought it initially (I know you travel often). Can you give the reasons you think it sounds so horrible, I like compact/travel guitars and was thinking of investing in one myself.

Bad news CJ, I was hoping these would turn out to be a good little travel guitar, which is, I suspect, why you bought it initially (I know you travel often). Can you give the reasons you think it sounds so horrible, I like compact/travel guitars and was thinking of investing in one myself.

I'm thinking the electronics suck, because everything I play on it sounds like an elephant fart.

Tried again this morning, sober, and it's still not doing it for me. Tried with several different amps, and just can't get the sound to clean up. I also discovered that it has a lot of body and/or neck flex when I rest my arm normally on the body while playing. Remove my arm and it goes out of tune. Or tune it without my arm resting there, and it's out of tune when I rest my arm.

I don't think new strings will help this.

Well, I found a niche for it. Play it with plenty of distortion and it sounds good. Just don't try it clean, at all. It will not get you there. Also gotta be careful with the flex factor. I'm gonna mess around with it for a few more days, just to see if I want to keep it or not.

And it gets even better!

I put a set of D'addario EXL110's on it, and it cleaned right up. Even has good intonation.

Still not the sound of a full-bodied, full scale guitar, but much better than my first impression. I'm starting to have fun with this thing!

I may need to raise the action a bit, though, because it doesn't like a strong pick attack. Tends to buzz a little unless I keep the picking moderate.

It's a shame that you are so disappointed in it. I'm surprised it's so bad, they got pretty good reviews on Musicians Friend. Regarding the flexing issue, have you checked to see if the neck is seated properly and the bolts are tight?

And it gets even better!

Good to hear that things are on the improve.

It's a shame that you are so disappointed in it. I'm surprised it's so bad, they got pretty good reviews on Musicians Friend. Regarding the flexing issue, have you checked to see if the neck is seated properly and the bolts are tight?

Yeah, it still flexes, though. No big deal, just gotta play it a bit more loosely. It's all working out, and I'm gonna be happy with it.

I do wish I could go back and edit the title of this thread.

Archived