Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone J-40?

ccannon1

Hey, i know this guitar currently doesn't exist but I think Gibson should make Epiphone J-45's, so that someone like me can actually afford one. I tried the Gibson J-45 out today at my local music store, it was the best sounding acoustic guitar I had ever played, and had the perfect tone, then I looked at the price tag, some $2,375(Canadian) which i'm guessing is less than MSRP. So i'm wondering if they would ever make such a thing as the Epiphone J-45 or could anyone suggest a guitar thats less than $800 that has a similar sound?

EDIT: Just realized i was calling the guitar by the wrong name, J-45 it is lol

Hey, i know this guitar currently doesn't exist but I think Gibson should make Epiphone J-45's, so that someone like me can actually afford one. I tried the Gibson J-45 out today at my local music store, it was the best sounding acoustic guitar I had ever played, and had the perfect tone, then I looked at the price tag, some $2,375(Canadian) which i'm guessing is less than MSRP. So i'm wondering if they would ever make such a thing as the Epiphone J-45 or could anyone suggest a guitar thats less than $800 that has a similar sound?

EDIT: Just realized i was calling the guitar by the wrong name, J-45 it is lol

OH HAI

EL-J45_VS.jpg

I mean the flattop on a gibson j45 is going to be what delivers it, and I dont really think epiphone can clone it. I think there are many great guitars that are in the running with it though! I think this guy, the AJ500M, is a good equivalent at a beginner price. It's the same shape as the J45 and has the same tonewoods (spruce top, mahogany back and sides) as the J45.

epiphone_masterbilt_AJ-500M_advanced_L.jpg

You could also look at something like the Gibson LG2, which many have described as a smaller version of a J45:

LG2_42.jpg

do the letters in front of the numbers mean anything? like i figure DR means dread-nought?, and i have an AJ-100CE which would be the same shape as the J-45 without it's cutaway and the other guitars you mentioned. And apparently the AJ200S is good?

AJ are what are called slope-shouldered guitars, whereas dreadnaughts (DR) are square shouldered. basically, if you look at the upper bouts (the curves that meet at the neck joint) the slope shoulders are a little more flowing than the dreadnaught.

To be honest im not sure if there's a difference in tone, i think it may just be aesthetics.

the AJ200S is neat because it's a pretty budget guitar that features a solid top. Epi just released these. when i bought my hummingbird in 2007 it was because i wanted a solid top and that was pretty much the starting point.

I'd say go to guitar center or something and really try and play a bunch of different acoustics and see which one fits you, figuratively and literally.

I had a great sounding AJ200 but I bust the neck (I blame those big headstocks but they look great!)

After about a year's playing it sounded great - woody, sweet and loud. Very comforable to play as well. For the price, I think it's exceptional.

Archived