Gibson Brands Forums

Origin of my Flying V. Does my guitar exist?

joka07

Hi, I have got a Flying V, Custom Shop, 67'reissue, with serial no 090127. I can not find any information about the guitar (production year, production plant and other specifications). Can anybody help? It is olympic white, black headstock.

Sounds like a very interesting guitar. The fine folks around here will be of more help if you can post some detailed photos.

My first question would be why you say it's a "Custom Shop", and not a production model or reissue. The six-digit serial number format was used 60's and early 70's, and that number range would have been used around 1967 and again around 1973.

The other piece of information that would help ID the "era" would be the potentiometer codes. Check the back of the pots for a seven-digit number that most likely starts with "137", the last four numbers are the most important.

You're right. Pics coming up.

Here are some pics. When I bought it, I got a certificate saying it is a custom shop made V, serial no 090127. The serial no is (of cource) stamped on the back of the headstock. No "Made in USA" or other information is stamped which is odd!!??

post-28530-069663200 1294647175_thumb.gif

post-28530-051266300 1294647434_thumb.gif

Hi Joka07,

It appears to be a stopbar version of the Custom Shop 1967 Flying V reissue, of which you can find the specs attached.

The serial number 090127 is also registered as a Flying V 1967 reissue from the Custom Shop, with stopbar, made in 2009. It would be the 127th 1967 reissue instrument made that year at the Custom Shop (09 stands for 2009 in this case).

Hope this helps.

Gibson Custom Shop 1967 Flying V with Maestro Classic White.pdf

Archived