Gibson Brands Forums

Melody Maker Rebuild

czechnut7

I have just disassembled and reassembled my 2009 Melody Maker to paint it and I now have a buzzing noise that goes away when I push down on the bridge. I Are there spacers to keep the bridge straight? Could it be the wiring?

Thanks,

Paul

Maybe some bees got under the bridge?

Retrace your installation steps, Make sure you put all the nuts, bolts, washers back where they originally came from.

Do any of the screws 'thread' directly into wood? Wood screws don't like to be removed and re-installed. The hole they came out of may have become wallowed out. Check these to be sure they are secure. If not, remove the offending screw, insert a sliver of wood (toothpick) into the hole with a spot of glue. Then reinstall the screw, making sure it is secure.

... I now have a buzzing noise that goes away when I push down on the bridge...

Sorry to state the obvious but are you sure the bridge is seated firmly? If the buzzing goes away when you push down it suggests otherwise.

If the bridge is really, really solid to the body then check the strings aren't fouling anywhere along the metalwork.

Please keep us informed of any - or lack of - progress and we'll try again!.

P.

Sorry to state the obvious but are you sure the bridge is seated firmly? If the buzzing goes away when you push down it suggests otherwise. ... check the strings aren't fouling anywhere along the metalwork. ...

+1

Also make sure the bridge posts are seating properly. If they're not, some thick lube in the threads will quite them.

I assume you are talking about an electrical buzz not a string buzz???? If So:

Actually there is usually a ground wire connected to the post of the tailpiece or bridge. It is usually just pressed against the bolt bushings in the body and then connected to the pots. Sounds to me like you lost this connection and when you press down on the bridge it is connecting enough to make the ground circuit. If you have a volt meter that has a continuity display or buzzer ( continuity means that a signal is able to pass from end to end and that there is a complete circuit ) you could take the strings off and the bridge and tailpiece then use the meter to test for continuity between the screw bushing and the back of a pot by pushing the bushing down and holding the probe to it. When you hear which bushing is making ground continuity pull the bushing out and you should see the wire down in the bushing hole. ( you could just pop them out until you find it as well Most likely it is the bridge bushing nearest the control cavity) MAke sure there is plenty of bare ground wire sticking up and then push the bushing back in with the ground wire lead running along the side so it is pressed against the bushing and making a good connection.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Just checked my Les Paul that I have apart. The ground lead on it is going to the tailpiece bushing nearest the cavity.

Meter without Continuity ( OL ) This mean the circuit is open

4be9c6ac.jpg

Meter with Continuity ( Reading resistance )

fc9355b0.jpg

Andy

Archived