Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul Pro FX anyone have one?

RUSHian

I thinking about purchasing the new Epiphone Les Paul Pro FX guitar. It seems seems to be similar to the Gibson LP Axess guitars ( can't afford a Gibson). I purchased an Epiphone Les Paul Studio model with Floyd Rose, but I wasn't happy with the quality and sound. The licensed Floyd Rose was fussy, and the side of my right hand tended to rest on the trem, causing it to change pitch slightly, and the fine tuners seemed to be in the way (I have an Ibanez with a Pro Edge 3, and the fine tunes are angled back).

Does any one here have the new Pro FX LP? If so, let me know what you think!

I purchased an Epiphone Les Paul Studio model with Floyd Rose, but I wasn't happy with the quality and sound. The licensed Floyd Rose was fussy, and the side of my right hand tended to rest on the trem, causing it to change pitch slightly, and the fine tuners seemed to be in the way.

I think you've just answered your own question!

For just over £100 more you could have a japanese made Charvel San Dimas or Socal which has top range pups, an SKB case and a Korean OFR

Floyds and Charvels are a marriage made in heaven!

252691.jpg

My linkhttp://www.thomann.de/gb/charvel_pro_mod_so_cal_style_1_hh_sw.htm

252696.jpg

My linkhttp://www.thomann.de/gb/charvel_pro_mod_san_dimas_style_1hh_fr.htm

Alan

I thinking about purchasing the new Epiphone Les Paul Pro FX guitar. It seems seems to be similar to the Gibson LP Axess guitars ( can't afford a Gibson). I purchased an Epiphone Les Paul Studio model with Floyd Rose, but I wasn't happy with the quality and sound. The licensed Floyd Rose was fussy, and the side of my right hand tended to rest on the trem, causing it to change pitch slightly, and the fine tuners seemed to be in the way (I have an Ibanez with a Pro Edge 3, and the fine tunes are angled back).

Does any one here have the new Pro FX LP? If so, let me know what you think!

Sorry to hear that you arent happy with your LP/FR. I'm not entirely surprised that you may not be happy with the sound. But that is one thing that can be easily remedied with new electronics and/or pickups. Being an asian import, it is common for a company to use lower grade everything - especially the electronics. Many people also consider the Floyd Rose tremolo to be a tone killer. Combine that with the cheaper asian electronics and I can see why you may not be satisfied with your guitar. Also, I should ask what kind of amplifier you play through. This can make a big difference as well.

What do you mean by the tremolo being fussy. I have a couple guitars with Lic. Floyds on them and they seem to work fine without much fuss...if set up correctly. But that is true of any double locking, floating tremolo. They are just picky.

As for your hand resting on the trem, going from one LP to another wont solve this dilemma. In fact, the guitars I have FR trems on are both strat-style guitars and I still tend to rest my hand on the trem and bend the pitch if I'm not careful. This isnt a guitar problem. Its a technique issue.

Also, the trem on the Pro-FX is pretty much the same design as the Lic. Floyd on your guitar. The fine tuners are positioned the same. This is pretty standard for Floyd Rose. The Pro-FX trem is called a Floyd Rose Special. I'm guessing that its the same trem, but from slightly higher quality materials than a Lic., but lower on the ladder than an Original Floyd. Personally, I'm a fan of the Floyd Rose Speedloader, but still, the fine tuners are positioned the same as any other FR trem.

There is definitely learning curve with Floyd Rose. And it takes some adjusting to get used to the sensitivity of a floating trem. For most people its a "love it or hate it" situation.

Thanks! I think the Epi FX Pro is a step up in quality from the Epi LP Studio I had ( I think I paid $350.00) for it). I did sell it a couple of years ago. I was playing a Line 6 Spider 3 , post-27237-064427500 1294757443_thumb.jpg75 watt amp at the time. I now have a Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 50 watt combo. Like I said, I now play an Ibanez ST1 Iceman with a Pro Edge III trem, and I love it,post-27237-082536400 1294757873_thumb.jpg but I like the Epiphone LP Pro Fx's features. I'll see if I can try one out!

Thanks, Alan! I had a Charvel/Jackson back in the late 1980's- I think it had a Kahler trem (which I loved). post-27237-080961400 1294760306_thumb.jpg it looked like this version, but had dot inlays. I had a Floyd Rose in my HSS Strat, but I've never been a big F/R fan.

Hi to all, new user here, first time poster [thumbup]. I have the PRO/FX, and for my tastes and needs it is quite a great guitar. First time Floyd Rose user as well, but I like it. Keeps tune well, and love the feel of the neck and frets are dressed well on mine. Of course I am stepping up from a Les Paul Special II (which is still pretty good), but I think it'd be a fair guitar for most people, casual or professional. Lovely color and a great gift. I love mine! [biggrin]

• 1 month later...

Hi to all, new user here, first time poster [thumbup]. I have the PRO/FX, and for my tastes and needs it is quite a great guitar. First time Floyd Rose user as well, but I like it. Keeps tune well, and love the feel of the neck and frets are dressed well on mine. Of course I am stepping up from a Les Paul Special II (which is still pretty good), but I think it'd be a fair guitar for most people, casual or professional. Lovely color and a great gift. I love mine! [biggrin]

which color did you get?

Archived