Gibson Brands Forums

Is this a figured?

Murph

The www.bizarreguitar.com site has a flamed ES 335 on page two, #1152. I'm a novice at these things, and didn't know if a flamed top was the same as a figured top.

I'm a helluva nice guy, and am drinking beer, but I am heavily armed, so don't be a smartass, :)

But, anyhow......

If I buy a figured ES 335 tri burst from MF, is this it, or is this a different model?

The Gibson web page doesn't work for me when I put in ES 335.

I get signature crap.

Thanks.

Murph.

Given how heavily armed you are, thought I should reply quickly before you lost your patience!!! :-)

I'm no expert, but yes, to me this appears to be a figured top - the 'flaming' comes from it being a nicely figured peice of wood -and that appears to be too much flaming back and front to be a plain-top that just has a bit of flaming (ie mine is a plain top, but has bits of flame, but not all over, and not as consistent - search this forum for my earliest posted threads and you'll see what I mean).

Looks sweet to me!

No. I haven't commited. I'm leary of them not being a Gibson dealer anymore, and the fact that they are 2000 miles away, and it getting "lightly used" more each day. I've been to Opry Mills twice in the last few months, but was looking at Les Pauls. Then bought a $2000.00 1933 Gibson Mandolin from Gruhns. I just recently realized that I need an ES-335.

Need.

My gigging schedule/day job won't allow another trip to Opry Mills for a few weeks, and I haven't even called to see what they have, but that's my closest chance of putting my hands on one before pulling the trigger. I played a plain top vintage burst semi local and fell in love with the neck, feel, ect. I just prefer the tri burst with less yellow, and since this may be my last new guitar purchase, wanted a figured.

Thanks a ton to all.

Murph.

Update. I went back to the Sweetwater site and found the triburst. It had more of a stock photo than the vintage burst, which actually gave serial #'s and had more pics, but wasn't a figured.

The triburst was figured, but didn't say so. The price was MAP.

If I can't put my hands on one, I will for sure keep them in mind.

Thanks HG.

Murph.

I don't know what that is about colimodio.?

Thanks Steve. I'm almost positive it's gonna be a tri burst figured. Just banking up the cigarette money. $30.00 a week adds up to a grand saved since I quit New Years. I'll probably flip it on a card pretty soon, because I'm almost positive I'm done with the smokes.

Murph.

Archived