Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J300 circa 1970

burntstump

Can anyone provide any information about the original Gibson J300 Artiste from around 1970?

I have been told they never went into production and even Gibson have no record but a picture of one is in the Ian Bishop Gibson book published in the 70s.

Anybody ever seen one, owned one or knows the where abouts of one?

Thanks for your help

From Gibson's Fabulous Flat-Top Guitars:

Two other models, both offshoots of the basic J-200, came out of the Kalamazoo factory in that decade, The J-250R, produced from about 1970 to 1978, was a standard issue J200, but with rosewood back and sides. The second model, the J-300 Artist, proved a more interesting variation, although it lasted only a year after its introduction in 1970. This striking guitar, also with rosewood sides and back, differs visually with its delicate, pearl fleurs-des-lis gracing each side of the bridge, the lower bout of the pickguard, and the peghead. Sadly, this J200 upgrade sold too poorly to justify its existence.

Hi

Thanks for this information, I have a copy of this book and I have been told the ref to the J300 is wrong, according to Gibson the guitar never went into production and only 1 or 2 prototypes were ever made, hence my question as any one actualy seen or owned one?

I'm quite certain I saw one on ebay about 2 years ago. I don't recall much about it other than it was stamped "BGN" which typically meant it had some serious flaw and was usually offered to employees at a low price. That doesn't mean a lot because one of the prototypes could have been unceremoniously dumped as a BGN.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmm.....

J-300, mid-seventies ('73-'75), book-matched rosewood back and sides, rosewood neck with ornately bound rosewood fingerboard. Abalone/Mother-of-Pearl Fleur-de-Lis inlays on headstock, bridge and scratchplate. Rosewood bridge-pins with Mother-of-Pearl inlay dots. Gilt Grovers fitted as standard, and the whole available to order only, very few made.

The History and Development of the American Guitar By Ken Achard

Same story going round and round, smoke, fire, etc.....

• 1 year later...
I'm quite certain I saw one on ebay about 2 years ago. I don't recall much about it other than it was stamped "BGN" which typically meant it had some serious flaw and was usually offered to employees at a low price. That doesn't mean a lot because one of the prototypes could have been unceremoniously dumped as a BGN.

About a year/18 months ago there was a guy on Ebay selling Gibsons..... he had a few SJ300

(I know that's not the exact model you're looking for BS.)

The guy ( probably a scammer) vainished without trace.

I did enquire about a guiatar at the time, he was able to give me serial number ( which checked out) but didn't seem keen when I said I'd drive from Kent to greater Manchester with cash

Strange scammer but EvilBay is a strange place

• 3 months later...

Archived