Gibson Brands Forums

solo gigs

jack asselin

Hi i'm a singer songwriter, i play acoustic blues, been writing songs for a long time and just recorded my demo. Never played solo before and i want to gig. I use 5 different tunings. i Have a few questions: do i use my good guitar when playing live? ( in my case i own 2 Gibson) do i only use one guitar and retune it between songs? if so do i need a back up one?

If anyone can help i'd appreciate it

thanks

With two guitars you can use two of your five tunings. You may want to try and structure your set to minimize the amount of tuning you need to do.

That's what i figured, this way i could retune during the break and i'd only have to tune once during the set. So you're telling me it'd be hard to the do the show with only one guitar.

That's what i figured, this way i could retune during the break and i'd only have to tune once during the set. So you're telling me it'd be hard to the do the show with only one guitar.

It could be done, but you would spend more time tuning than playing I believe. I play standard and open G. One of my Telecasters stays in open G to prevent having to retune between songs.

It could be done, but you would spend more time tuning than playing I believe. I play standard and open G. One of my Telecasters stays in open G to prevent having to retune between songs.

you see, i'm kinda nervous goin on the road with my two precious babies, so i was checking my options. thanks you've been helpful

Hi i'm a singer songwriter, i play acoustic blues, been writing songs for a long time and just recorded my demo. Never played solo before and i want to gig. I use 5 different tunings. i Have a few questions: do i use my good guitar when playing live? ( in my case i own 2 Gibson) do i only use one guitar and retune it between songs? if so do i need a back up one?

If anyone can help i'd appreciate it

thanks

You run the risk of breaking strings re-tuning...and losing the audience re-tuning if you aren't quick; unless you talk to them during the process...

With two guitars you can use two of your five tunings. You may want to try and structure your set to minimize the amount of tuning you need to do.

Good point...

you see, i'm kinda nervous goin on the road with my two precious babies, so i was checking my options. thanks you've been helpful

It's helpful to have several guitars, even at solo shows..You always run the risk of theft...get good insurance...If both or more guitars are together, they will always be together, miminizing the theft potential.

Also, consider giging / touring with 'lessor' guitars; ie, nice playing affordable Epi or other acoustics.....even better, do shows with one fine Gibby, and use a second and/or third guitar thats not

one of your priceless babies.............One Gibby will work, and be less stressful on the mind, if you can re-tune quickly.....just some thoughts.....I've done many solo shows, so, I'm not blowing smoke here..

If I'm fully traveling by myself, I go the one guitar route, even with multipe tunings.....If your music is copywritten, feel free to share some.........Damian...

Why have nice guitars if you ain't gonna play them in front of people? Seems counter-intuitive to gig with the cheap guitars.

Don't you want to sound your best? Just keep your eye on them and you'll be fine.

Even the best and well protected musicians don't travel with their absolute best guitars........often.........

I'm just saying...people talk up Gibson's etc as the best sound and quality...seems strange to keep the $2000 (Great sounding) guitar for your bedroom and use the $400 guitar (inferior sound) for live shows for people you are trying to impress. Keep the guitar in the trunk of your car til its time to go on stage and put it back in there when you're done.

I'm just saying...people talk up Gibson's etc as the best sound and quality...seems strange to keep the $2000 (Great sounding) guitar for your bedroom and use the $400 guitar (inferior sound) for live shows for people you are trying to impress. Keep the guitar in the trunk of your car til its time to go on stage and put it back in there when you're done.

Well, makes me wonder how the old timer bluesman like Robert Johnson dit it?!. He used like 10 different tunings ( including the capo changes)

You run the risk of breaking strings re-tuning...and losing the audience re-tuning if you aren't quick; unless you talk to them during the process...

Good point...

It's helpful to have several guitars, even at solo shows..You always run the risk of theft...get good insurance...If both or more guitars are together, they will always be together, miminizing the theft potential.

Also, consider giging / touring with 'lessor' guitars; ie, nice playing affordable Epi or other acoustics.....even better, do shows with one fine Gibby, and use a second and/or third guitar thats not

one of your priceless babies.............One Gibby will work, and be less stressful on the mind, if you can re-tune quickly.....just some thoughts.....I've done many solo shows, so, I'm not blowing smoke here..

If I'm fully traveling by myself, I go the one guitar route, even with multipe tunings.....If your music is copywritten, feel free to share some.........Damian...

Sure just copy and go to http://myspace.com/jackasselin

Yes....yes, and yes....Thank you....I like it a lot....Makes me say now, depending on the gig, I'd take just one Gibby usually, and perhaps for important shows where there is exposure, take a couple guitars.........I am finally getting back into recording myself; As soon as I do I'll give you links etc to it....I also miss doing the style you have going on......It has lit another fire of inspiration for me..........Thank you.....see a quick PM as well..............Very cool music...[thumbup] ...

I think there are a number of variables here.

Some has to do as much with what kind of an entertainer you are as much as what kind of a guitar picker/singer. Some folk can keep an audience smiling while they retune. Some can't. Some venues are right for a lotta patter during the retuning and some not.

As for using the Gibson or not... I'd say it depends on the weather. I'd not take a Gibbie acoustic out in -20 weather for sure, although I know some do. If you're getting decent gigs I'd get an Epi of the same style and setup as a backup for gigs that might have questionable weather or safety. Even if the Gibson is always used, the less expensive backup still is there.

BTW, here's where Robot tech makes good sense to me. Also the tech that allows one guitar to offer not only different tunings, but also sufficient difference in sound that it might be used as an acoustic.

I've never seen Leo Kottke in concert, but my understanding is that he has both 12 and 6 along... but he can keep a concert type audience smiling no matter what with his offbeat sense of humor.

m

I think there are a number of variables here.

Some has to do as much with what kind of an entertainer you are as much as what kind of a guitar picker/singer. Some folk can keep an audience smiling while they retune. Some can't. Some venues are right for a lotta patter during the retuning and some not.

As for using the Gibson or not... I'd say it depends on the weather. I'd not take a Gibbie acoustic out in -20 weather for sure, although I know some do. If you're getting decent gigs I'd get an Epi of the same style and setup as a backup for gigs that might have questionable weather or safety. Even if the Gibson is always used, the less expensive backup still is there.

BTW, here's where Robot tech makes good sense to me. Also the tech that allows one guitar to offer not only different tunings, but also sufficient difference in sound that it might be used as an acoustic.

I've never seen Leo Kottke in concert, but my understanding is that he has both 12 and 6 along... but he can keep a concert type audience smiling no matter what with his offbeat sense of humor.

m

Robot tech, is that the guitar that tunes itself? its not acoustic? Also you do have a good point about the wether, i live in canada so it<s kinda changing a lot

Jack...

Yeah, the robot stuff is the guitar that changes tunings for itself. I dunno if they have that available for retrofit on acoustics yet... But there are some Gibson "electrics" with a bridge pickup and robot tuning tech that can sound pretty much like an acoustic. The new Firebird X is a bit pricey but might fit your needs if you're making enough on gigs - or have enough to spend - on one. As a solidbody it should also do better in terms of resisting weather...

I ain't in Canada, but we've seen over 60 degrees F temperature changes where I live on the U.S. northern plains over the past week.

Even a solidbody guitar doesn't necessarily like the real cold; my Jeep in really cold weather isn't enough to keep the effects of temperature away from a cased guitar. So... to me it's a major concern.

In fact, my archtop full hollow reeeeeally gets freaky on tunings in the winter, so I got a semi for a backup.

Acoustic blues, eh... Never heard of it or played any. I have fibbed on occasion, however.

m

Archived