Gibson Brands Forums

..........t.h.e. e.d.g.e

hotshot9991

I second that.

The Edge is not a fantastic guitarist in my eyes, not by a long shot, but I love what he does. He might not have Hendrixian chops, but the way he throws effects in is really what hooks me into the music. He's a solid rhythm player but I have to remember an old story. Two family friends were off to a show, sometime in the 80s, up in Hampton beach, one to see a friend's band, one to see the band that they were leading off for. So they get there, and the friend's performance goes as expected, but when the next band comes on they are in for a surprise. Disgust! "They were playing the same songs again in the second set!". They both left thoroughly disappointed in the main act's performance.

The band's name was U2 (in the infancy of their American fame). I believe it was the first show they did in the US, or one of the first.

How much they have grown.

To me, guitarists get a different look than most people. He has a very open mind to dial back his playing in order to tool around with effects. If he did play like Hendrix, U2 would not be where they are. In 'It Might Get Loud', seeing the old performances of U2 make me shudder to think people actually paid for that. However, he does some cool stuff with the guitar. I would hate to be his tech though... [flapper]

That's a weird story, not gonna lie. I would have left too

Archived