Gibson Brands Forums

..........t.h.e. e.d.g.e

hotshot9991

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejJdfkFjKCA

This you tube clip is when u2 are at sane castle, but I got one thing to say I think the intro is one of the coolest riffs Iver herd. I wanna see what everyone else thinks at it

one last thing if I have any edge haters in here I will ignore your comment and also just because he cant pick as fast as bucket head or some crap like that ,dosent make him great.Then I wanna see you take a delay pedal or some sort of effect and make it sound as cool as edge dose...........................................

I've really come to appreciate the Edge's style and creativity of late. I know he has his detractors but thats just petty jealousy.

He like Hendrix before him used the technology available to craft a unique style.

That and New Years Day is still one of my favorite all time kick butt songs.msp_thumbup.gif

Dose? Does!

and he shows his poor performance in 'It might get loud'. Outclassed.

On a plus point.

They prove my point. Four average players make a great band by working together.

You haven't got to be a 'whizz' to make it.

This you tube clip is when u2 are at sane castle, but I got one thing to say I think the intro is one of the coolest riffs Iver herd. I wanna see what everyone else thinks at it

one last thing if I have any edge haters in here I will ignore your comment and also just because he cant pick as fast as bucket head or some crap like that ,dosent make him great.Then I wanna see you take a delay pedal or some sort of effect and make it sound as cool as edge dose...........................................

Under the criteria that he does what he does extremely well - and has his own sound and style - I have to say I agree with you, a great guitarist! msp_thumbup.gif

Matt

Yes, a great guitarist.

For me, Edge represents a great combination of creativity, fantastic rhythm skills and interesting lead lines. It's amazing how some of his leads seem to spring naturally from his rhythm work, and this song is a good illustrator of that point.

Yes, a great guitarist.

For me, Edge represents a great combination of creativity, fantastic rhythm skills and interesting lead lines. It's amazing how some of his leads seem to spring naturally from his rhythm work, and this song is a good illustrator of that point.

Thats probably the main issue right there because rhythm guitar is so overlooked by todays young players.

It's boring to them because they wanna be the next Eddie VH, Joe Sat., Headbucket, etc.

They learn the pentatonic scale and forget all them fancy chords and the plethora of variations thereof.

If they would just learn the chords and their relative positions up and down the fret board it would open a whole new world of lead possibilities.

David has found his niche and done well for himself and his fans. The fact U2 is having to extend dates on an already heavily grossing world arena tour shows their formula is working for them.

True, he's no Jimmy Page or Jack White, but then how boring would guitar be if everyone sounded the same.

I got one thing to say I think the sparkle jersey Edge wears & the sparkle glasses Bono wears are some of the gayest I've seen...

Actually they get a pass in my book... Music Rising.

Love U2.

Other than Rush they are one of my most seen bands. I think I've seen U2 four or five times.

The Edge is great.

I know their keyboardist Terry Lawless (unofficial fifth member).

He always shares great stories about the edge and touring with the band.

In fact went to one of his gigs this weekend.

While the edge can play and U2 have sold countless records etc... Bill bailey summed them up perfectly for me. http://www.youtube.c...h?v=pSbbhO4kTNU

I dont dislike but i remember them as one of the better bands of the 1980's. some of their later stuff just doesnt do it for me.

Great song by some great musicians. But I actually like the riffs on some of his other songs better - The Fly, Zoo Station, & Vertigo, for example. (And it's a little cheesy, but I actually enjoy the riffs from Stand Up Comedy quite a bit)

Thats probably the main issue right there because rhythm guitar is so overlooked by todays young players.

It's boring to them because they wanna be the next Eddie VH, Joe Sat., Headbucket, etc.

They learn the pentatonic scale and forget all them fancy chords and the plethora of variations thereof.

If they would just learn the chords and their relative positions up and down the fret board it would open a whole new world of lead possibilities.

[thumbup]

Not all of us young players overlook rhythm :rolleyes:

Sure it isn't as glamourous as lead playing, but its necessary. Great points cookieman, and most important is that the two aren't separate, they relate together! Good rhythm players often blossom into amazing lead players because they have all of the knowledge and they know how not to wank on the fretboard

I really enjoy U2's music: Those guys have written some great songs, and they don't sound like any other band.

To me they're comparable to the Stones and the Beatles in that they have mass appeal without being crappy. That's a tough thing to accomplish.

I didn't know anything about the Edge, until I saw "It might get loud", but he seems to be a very nice, down-to-earth guy, which is pretty unusual for someone who has been a superstar for over 20 years. A lot of people in that position let the fame go to their heads.

[thumbup]

Not all of us young players overlook rhythm :rolleyes:

Sure it isn't as glamourous as lead playing, but its necessary. Great points cookieman, and most important is that the two aren't separate, they relate together! Good rhythm players often blossom into amazing lead players because they have all of the knowledge and they know how not to wank on the fretboard

I second that.

The Edge is not a fantastic guitarist in my eyes, not by a long shot, but I love what he does. He might not have Hendrixian chops, but the way he throws effects in is really what hooks me into the music. He's a solid rhythm player but I have to remember an old story. Two family friends were off to a show, sometime in the 80s, up in Hampton beach, one to see a friend's band, one to see the band that they were leading off for. So they get there, and the friend's performance goes as expected, but when the next band comes on they are in for a surprise. Disgust! "They were playing the same songs again in the second set!". They both left thoroughly disappointed in the main act's performance.

The band's name was U2 (in the infancy of their American fame). I believe it was the first show they did in the US, or one of the first.

How much they have grown.

Archived