Gibson Brands Forums

Neck Pickup on Standard Traditional Pro is very weak

whiteop

I just bought a new Gibson Les Paul Standard Traditional Pro with push / pull coil taps built into the volume control and the neck humbucker sounds very weak compared to the bridge pickup unless you pull out the coil tap then the volumes are comparable. I've checked the volume and tone control settings and made sure they were all turned up all the way and you still get the same result. You can't get the Slash type tone when you overdrive the neck pickup and tone is just lifeless. Honestly my Epiphone Ultra II LP sounds better on the neck pickup by far but the Gibson has it beat on the bridge and middle tone settings. I'm wondering if there's a problem. I paid over $2K for the guitar so I expect some quality otherwise I'm taking it back. Thoughts?

I just bought a new Gibson Les Paul Standard Traditional Pro with push / pull coil taps built into the volume control and the neck humbucker sounds very weak compared to the bridge pickup unless you pull out the coil tap then the volumes are comparable. I've checked the volume and tone control settings and made sure they were all turned up all the way and you still get the same result. You can't get the Slash type tone when you overdrive the neck pickup and tone is just lifeless. Honestly my Epiphone Ultra II LP sounds better on the neck pickup by far but the Gibson has it beat on the bridge and middle tone settings. I'm wondering if there's a problem. I paid over $2K for the guitar so I expect some quality otherwise I'm taking it back. Thoughts?

The neck is 57 Classic and Bridge has a Burstbucker 3 http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Traditional-Pro.aspx I would take it back to store and see if there in house guitar can take a look at it see if it's something in the wiring that can be fix.

If the pickup is louder when you engage the coil taps..you have a problem...sounds like something is wrong with the neck pup..Take it back and see whats up...if there is a problem get it replaced.

First of all, I have no idea how you paid "over 2 grand " for a Traditional Pro LP....I got one new for $500.00 less with a HSC...The 57 and BB3 are different monsters...They are in your guitar to match the typical modern rockers preference; a slightly louder bridge pickup...You may be used to 'hotter' pickups...57s are the classic smooth and clear pickups. They work well for all styles and genres of music....I know four players who just upgraded to them on my rec and they love them....Look at Gibson's pickup output comparison charts, and you'll have a better understanding of this. You may want to change out the 57 to a 57+, raise the 57 pickup higher, or change out the 57 to a BB as well; the last will probably be what will suit you best...Gibson Traditionals IMHO are Gibson's best LPs outside of their Custom Shop LPs....They are well built LPs, and are not chambered, but are weight relieved.........Slashtone is easy to obtain with 57s, you just gotta know your equipment better......

The neck is 57 Classic and Bridge has a Burstbucker 3 http://www2.gibson.c...tional-Pro.aspx I would take it back to store and see if there in house guitar can take a look at it see if it's something in the wiring that can be fix.

There could be something wrong with the wiring.......but...................

First of all, I have no idea how you paid "over 2 grand " for a Traditional Pro LP....I got one new for $500.00 less with a HSC...The 57 and BB3 are different monsters...They are in your guitar to match the typical modern rockers preference; a slightly louder bridge pickup...You may be used to 'hotter' pickups...57s are the classic smooth and clear pickups. They work well for all styles and genres of music....I know four players who just upgraded to them on my rec and they love them....Look at Gibson's pickup output comparison charts, and you'll have a better understanding of this. You may want to change out the 57 to a 57+, raise the 57 pickup higher, or change out the 57 to a BB as well; the last will probably be what will suit you best...Gibson Traditionals IMHO are Gibson's best LPs outside of their Custom Shop LPs....They are well built LPs, and are not chambered, but are weight relieved.........Slashtone is easy to obtain with 57s, you just gotta know your equipment better......

There could be something wrong with the wiring.......but...................

It's this model. Don't think u could get it for $500 unless you ran into a great deal or bought it used:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Traditional-Pro.aspx

Been playing for 30+ years and of course I know how to get Slash tone.

It's this model. Don't think u could get it for $500 unless you ran into a great deal or bought it used:

http://www2.gibson.c...tional-Pro.aspx

Been playing for 30+ years and of course I know how to get Slash tone.

Yup; that exact guitar.......$1400.00 new with a HSC....I shop well..........The 57 may not be the pickup for you, a BB changeout may suit you well....Marshall has their new Slash Head...

Looks interesting...........Let us know what you do; ie, wiring problem, pickup upgrade, etc...........This is what the forum is about.........Problems and issues raised, and then the result is discussed.

And welcome to the forum.................[thumbup] ..

Yup; that exact guitar.......$1400.00 new with a HSC....I shop well..........The 57 may not be the pickup for you, a BB changeout may suit you well....Marshall has their new Slash Head...

Looks interesting...........Let us know what you do; ie, wiring problem, pickup upgrade, etc...........This is what the forum is about.........Problems and issues raised, and then the result is discussed.

And welcome to the forum.................[thumbup] ..

the pickup is half the volume of the bridge pickup and sounds dull but when you pull the coil tap the volume returns so I know it's most likely a bad pickup or probably wired incorrectly. I've owned Les Pauls before. There shouldn't be that much volume drop on an LP set up from the factory and I don't think they'd mismatch the pickups that badly.

and well at least tell me where you got it that much cheaper and how you did it...lol and thanks for the welcome...

the pickup is half the volume of the bridge pickup and sounds dull but when you pull the coil tap the volume returns so I know it's most likely a bad pickup or probably wired incorrectly. I've owned Les Pauls before. There shouldn't be that much volume drop on an LP set up from the factory and I don't think they'd mismatch the pickups that badly.

and well at least tell me where you got it that much cheaper and how you did it...lol and thanks for the welcome...

Yes, that does sound like some wiring problem.........That shouldn't be happening......[confused] ....Forgive me if I misunderstood the problem fully...I re-read everything and yeah, you know

your guitars.........

See a PM coming your way later on today........

Took it back and ended up getting a new one cheaper for my troubles. Ended up costing about $1587 and this one sounds the way it should. The other one obviously had a bad soldering job, bad pickup, or or wire that wasn't connected correctly. Great sounding guitar now

Archived