Gibson Brands Forums

What do you think it takes to be called a Musician?

dem00n

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definition of COGNITIVE

1: of, relating to, being, or involving conscious intellectual activity (as thinking, reasoning, or remembering) <cognitive impairment> 2: based on or capable of being reduced to empirical factual knowledge

Definition of CONNOTATION

1a : the suggesting of a meaning by a word apart from the thing it explicitly names or describes b : something suggested by a word or thing : implication <the connotations of comfort that surrounded that old chair> 2: the signification of something <that abuse of logic which consists in moving counters about as if they were known entities with a fixed connotation W. R. Inge> 3: an essential property or group of properties of a thing named by a term in logic compare denotation

You can click the link for denotation.

While I'm at it.

Definition of MUSICIAN

: a composer, conductor, or performer of music; especially : Instrumentalist

Apparently, it's already been defined for us. I am a composer and performer of music, ergo, I am a musician.

This is a really interesting topic with what looks like to major side the (Gotta get paid) side and the (Love it and see myself as one so I am side) and were still really splitting hairs [flapper](guess that makes us all barbers)

If you change a float valve on a toilet it doesn't make you a plumber even if you enjoyed it. in the same argument I have a small garden and growing vegetables but by doing it does that make me a farmer? I also changed a bad spark plug wire and put washer blades on my car today and I'm pretty sure it didn't make me a auto mechanic either(at least I didn't get a shirt with my name on it). The difference is in the professional aspect of the title vs. what someone perceives themselves to be.

Where it gets weird is that we use it both ways in modern language as a professional title and as a descriptive title, As and example I like to fly fish, so people often say oh your a fisherman? well thank god no I'm not, I've seen how hard commercial fisherman work and thanks but I'll pass.

I still would argue that the key is the $$$ and vocation aspect. As a further example a lot of people like to write, some write stories some keep journals but that doesn't make them an author, being commercial published is what makes someone a author. I find it somewhat demeaning in some ways that titles no longer need to be earned, but instead can just be claimed.

My final example is Actors I know a beautiful young woman that is a close friend of my kid, who if you ask would say she's an actor. If you asked her what she's been in where you might have seen her? well then she starts hemming and hawing and after a while the truth comes out - she wants to act, she's taking classes and goes out on some calls, but so far she has not been successful, so in the harsh cold reality of life what she really is -

Is a waitress and bartender with the desire to do something else which is act, hopefully she'll be successful but until she is successful then i don't get understand her being a actor. Now in a few years if she's successful and is working in the acting field great then she'll be a actor in my mind as well as her own.

I also think that time and inactivity does remove the title as well, I played football in college at a major university and I doubt anyone would have had trouble saying I was an Athlete, I was on a full scholarship so even though I didn't get a true paycheck it was definitely worth quite a bit of money. Now thirty years later I would never say oh, I'm an athlete. Now I'm a late middle age guy with memories and memorabilia from those days and that's it it's been more years than I like to think about that I could compete in a sport at that level (or have bodyfat that's a single digit) and watching it on Sundays doesn't count.

I've never qualified being a musician with getting paid. To me, it's about knowledge. If a person has an understanding of music and how to make it on a musical instrument, then they could be called a musician. Of course there are varying degrees of musicianship. I mean, someone might be a mediocre musician who only has a basic understanding of musical concepts or a very good musician.

There are a lot of people that can play some guitar but I wouldn't necessarily call them musicians. They might know how to play some riffs or know a few chords, but really have no idea of what they're playing. Like if you asked them what a major, minor, diminished or augmented triad is they would go...huh? [blink]

Archived