Gibson Brands Forums

Connecting amp head to cab

krock

My parents have just ordered me my first half stack for my 18th birthday coming up next month, a blackheart handsomedevil and 1x12cab. I was wondering if you guys know whether the impedence of the cab(16ohms) makes amy difference to what cable to buy. Any recommendations. Thanks.

K

As long as you buy speaker cable and not instrument cable it makes no difference. Instrument cable will burn out and possibly destroy your amp. Speaker cable needs to be low resistance - the impedance isn't all that important. Instrument cable is just the opposite - it needs high impedance but resistance doesn't make that big a difference. If you're looking for brand recommendations you can't go too wrong with Monster, although it's a little expensive. If you're cheap and can solder it's not that hard to go down to Radio Shack, buy some heavy speaker wire and 1/4" phone plugs and build your own.

The absolute shortest and thickest (heaviest gauge) speaker cable you can get is best, regardless of Ohms.

I would disagree with this.....

Resistance

Resistance is by far the most important specification of speaker wire. Low-resistance speaker wire allows more of the amplifier's power to energize the loudspeaker's voice coil. The shorter the cable and the greater the conductor's cross-sectional area, the lower its resistance. Depending on the hearing ability of the listener, this resistance begins to have an audible effect when the resistance exceeds 5% of the speaker's impedance.

A speaker wire’s impedance takes into account the wire’s resistance, the wire’s path (coiled wire acts as an inductor), and the dielectric properties of local insulators. The latter two factors also determine the wire's frequency response. The lower the impedance of the speaker, the greater a significance the speaker wire's resistance will have.

Archived