Gibson Brands Forums

Just fishing for input

DJScott

OK, I know this is a Gibson forum, but I also know there is some Fender knowledge here. AND, since the Fender forums are down for maintenance right now, maybe there is some good info for me to gleen here.

So,... a co-worker has this guitar he bought while he was attending the University of North Dakota in 1973. Says he paid $400 for the guitar and a Fender Twin Reverb amp. I haven't seen the guitar yet, but his description of it screams Tele, and the serial number he says is on the back of the neck plate is F164605. Everything I can find points to a 66 Tele. He's on the bubble about selling it all to me, after I clean, re-string and set it up. Any thoughts as to what I should offer for the package?

I don't want to back door him, but I also don't want to pay museum prices. I assume it's in fair shape since it's been in the case in a closet for most of the last 35+ years. As soon as he gets it to me, (later tonight) I'll pop some pics in.

Thoughts?...

t57041.gif......There are many Tele fans and owners here........[thumbup] ..

Sounds really interesting but you need to see it first. Have a good look at it all and then walk away to think about it and do your research. Take some pictures and share them on the Fender Forum. A lot of people will know if it looks right or wrong. If the amp has not been powered up for years, don't plug it in. If you get it, have a tech clean it out and power it up on a variac to reform the capacitors.

Yea you need to see it to figure out if it is a pre-CBS, a CBS or what they call transition model between the 2. Pre-CBS and transition are more desirable in the collector market because they are supposedly better made. I believe CBS bought Fender in 1965 so this guitar is right there at the time things started changing.

Do a search online and become familiar with the changes CBS made to Fenders so you know when you check the guitar out.

Like said above the amplifier needs to go to a tech,

All the research I've done so far indicates transition. The S/N points to 1966 but Fender never had a reliable tracking system until the late 70's. Something about boxes of serial controlled parts and workers grabing a handfull and installing on whatever they were working on. (This is WHY I prefer Gibson!)

Anyway, should have the guitar tonight, I'll get some pics and add here. Thanx for the input, especially on the amp, [thumbup] I woulda just plugged it in. [cursing] I'll take it to my tech next weekend and have him go over it.

OK, I have it in my house right now, and have confirmed it is a 1966 Telecaster, ALL ORIGINAL! Plugged it into my Marshall and, aside from some scratchy pots, it works fine. Only thing missing from this axe is the head decal, apparently worn off from years of neglect.

So, new question, what is the best way to clean up the pots and can anyone direct me to a location to acquire one of the appropriate "transition" head decals?

This guitar is worth approximately $15,000 dollars in the condition it is in right now, and I think he may be looking for a buyer when I'm done with it...

WTF.......Keep the guitar......WTF...

Put a Bigsby on the Tele...........

WTF.........Play the heck out of it........

WTF................It is meant to be played........

WTF......

OK, I have it in my house right now, and have confirmed it is a 1966 Telecaster, ALL ORIGINAL! Plugged it into my Marshall and, aside from some scratchy pots, it works fine. Only thing missing from this axe is the head decal, apparently worn off from years of neglect.

So, new question, what is the best way to clean up the pots and can anyone direct me to a location to acquire one of the appropriate "transition" head decals?

This guitar is worth approximately $15,000 dollars in the condition it is in right now, and I think he may be looking for a buyer when I'm done with it...

If yer gonna sell it for money, sell it..............De-cals are for kids toys....Contact MATTELL..................

Stickyfingers...thx, I'l pick up some deoxit.

Cookieman...haven't started the disassembly yet, too busy at work, probably gonna de-string and clean up the electrinics tonight after work.

Apparently, according to the Fender Forums, there was some sort of screw-up at the fender plant in 66-67 with actually APPLYING the headstock decal. Still waiting for a reply from those guys. I'm not spending a dime outta my pocket on this thing till I know for certain. Then again, the current owner will likely never part with it or the amp, he's a cheap SOB.

For what I understand Fender themselves will provide you with the appropriate authentic decal but you must go through an authorized service center where they will take pics, submit to Fender and that same service center has to apply it to the headstock.

That is the "legal way" and probably will keep the value of the guitar better if you keep the related paperwork.

So the guy is not selling it to you?

For what I understand Fender themselves will provide you with the appropriate authentic decal but you must go through an authorized service center where they will take pics, submit to Fender and that same service center has to apply it to the headstock.

That is the "legal way" and probably will keep the value of the guitar better if you keep the related paperwork.

So the guy is not selling it to you?

Yeah, read that on the Fender website. (tough to navigate there) Likely have to take it in to Minot next weekend and see if there IS an authorized place.

I don't think he really WANTS to sell it, he's kind of a pack rat. Though he did say if he were to sell it, it would be to me.

We'll see...

Archived