Gibson Brands Forums

Tube Screamer mods

surfpup

So I have heard about people modding the TS9 Tube Screamers back to TS808 specs.

I finally gave in to the temptation and did mine last weekend. Gotta admit it

was a definite improvement. The pedal lost some of that over midrange the TS9

has and is more balanced now. There is more low-end for sure. The overdrive is

also a lot clearer. I tried recording some before and after clips, but didn't

do a very good job. The Tube Screamer knobs are backward from all my other pedals

(gain on the left level on the right) so I set it real low gain. Doh.

I still have plans to tweak a few of the components, but am wondering if

anyone else had luck modding their Tube Screamers or know of any cool mods?

I was going to mod my TS-10 into TS808 specs and was working with someone who was supposed to give me the parts but for some reason he never mailed them?

That's part of the reason why I bought the BYOC Over Drive 2 pedal - it is a TS808 and more. In fact, I like the botique sound so much I don't even use the ts808 setting on it.

Pup,

I'd sure appreciate a word on the "know how" part.

I still haven't found myself a little house in the St. Augustine area; but still looking!

Hall

Oh man, it's super easy - two resistors and a new OP amp. I used an IC socket so that

I can change OP amps easily. There are hundreds of them out there. Got a few to try. [biggrin]

Good time to buy houses here, btw. Prices are still low.

I was going to mod my TS-10 into TS808 specs and was working with someone who was supposed to give me the parts but for some reason he never mailed them?

The TS10 is the trickiest of them all I think. I have not done one. This is what you should do

(according to Premier Guitar)...

Modding the TS10

The TS10 is a very special box and requires a lot more work to convert it, but on the other hand, early TS10 models are often loaded with the magical IC chip from the famous 808 Tubescreamer, the '80s version of the JRC4558D. Here are what you'll need to do to mod out your TS10:

1. Remove R40 (10k) and run a jumper from the end of the R39 1K resistor furthest from Q6 to the end of C15 nearest Q6

2. Remove the Q6 transistor

3. Change R21 (470 ohm) connected to the output socket via a 10uF cap to 100 ohm

4. Change R22 (100k) to 10k

5. Short out R6 and C11

6. Remove R17

7. The input section before the first transistor is biased to +4.5V through a single 510K resistor. Remove R2 and R3 so one end of the 510K resistor will now not be connected to anything. Now you must connect it to 4.5V. The PCB 4.5v tracks are labeled "4.5v."

Archived