Gibson Brands Forums

Just bought my 1st Sheraton...

gorgor

Hello everyone. Just bought a 98 samick sheraton on ebay. It's in the mail and I can't wait to get it. I've wanted a sheraton for years. Question is what are the best websites for purchasing replacement hardware? Basically I want to swap the gold for nickel. Thanks.

Hello everyone. Just bought a 98 samick sheraton on ebay. It's in the mail and I can't wait to get it. I've wanted a sheraton for years. Question is what are the best websites for purchasing replacement hardware? Basically I want to swap the gold for nickel. Thanks.

hi!

first question is - does the 98 also have the stud problem? second - replace the pups ... i just had an eye-opening experience converning this :)

yours

wolfi

@Brianh I live in the US, California

@Birki Stud problem? Ahhh, sounds scary. I was planning on changing pickups, pots, switch etc... All that seems easy to find. I just wanted to make sure that I could find correct fitting bridge/stopbar. I don't want to drill any new holes. I am to squeamish to drill holes in a guitar...

@Upiory I will most def give it a before after review...

Thanks for the quick responses. I've been reading this forum for the last few weeks and am quite impressed. Most of the music forums that I regularly visit are full of people that just want to argue. My main guitar for the last ten years has been an American Fender Jazzmaster through a Vox ac30. While I love my Jazzmaster and will never part with it, it was time to try something new. Like I said before, I've always wanted a Sheraton. I can't wait!

I think Wolfi is refering to the stud spacing on the bridge. On the older Sheratons it's 72mm, and most metric replacement bridges (Gotoh, Schaller, ABR) are 74mm, measured center-to-center. Nashville bridges are almost 74.5mm. The tailpiece is not a problem - from what I can see on my two Sheratons, any after-market metric tailpiece will work. The tuners appear to be Asian Grover knock-offs, and at first glance it looks like modern Grovers will drop right in with no new screw holes.

In any case, the parts suppliers I use the most are Mojotone, Stew Mac, Allparts, WD Music, and for the really common stuff, Musician's Friend. Anything really weird, and it's off to eBay.

One more thing - it's always best to have the guitar in your posession before ordering anything. A digital caliper is $20 on Amazon and worth every penny.

@Birki Stud problem? Ahhh, sounds scary. I was planning on changing pickups, pots, switch etc... All that seems easy to find. I just wanted to make sure that I could find correct fitting bridge/stopbar. I don't want to drill any new holes. I am to squeamish to drill holes in a guitar...

Hi!

wood dowels did not work in my case with my 94 samick. beech was considered too bad a tonewood, and a spruce dowel was squished by the bridge studs. a brass insert with eccentric taps did the job, and sustain did not suffer.

... if you plan to re-wire the sheraton, I can also give some hints (in short words: avoid metric aquarium tubing, use shrink tubing instead :) )

yours

wolfi

Welcome & HNGD gorgor!

And you are absolutely right... with the exception of the rare 'full moon moment' this IS the coolest guitar forum [biggrin]

Per my 'Lust List' below, I've got bad GAS for a pre 2000 MIK Sheri.

Can't wait to see pics of yours [thumbup]

Cheers,

• 3 weeks later...

Archived