Gibson Brands Forums

Question About Recording Through An XLR Mic.

Tman5293

Yep. $59 and you are set to go!

And, BTW, the Samson GoMic sounds much better than the Blue Snowball in my opinion.

(And yes I actually own both of them. Unlike some folks here I don't praise or dis

gear I have not actually owned and used).

How good is the Go Mic at micing amps? Is it gonna be all fuzzy and distorted if I put it to close to the amp? How far away does it need to be from the amp to get a good sound?

Also I got one more question for you guys. How loud should the amp be?

How good is the Go Mic at micing amps? Is it gonna be all fuzzy and distorted if I put it to close to the amp? How far away does it need to be from the amp to get a good sound?

The GoMic has three settings, one omnidirectional setting (good for recording

room conversations, interviews, etc) and two unidirectional settings (cardiod

pattern - good for recording instruments and voice). One of unidirectional

settings has a pad (I believe it's -10db) which cuts the level. I use the setting

without the pad for voice and acoustic guitar. I use the setting with the pad for

guitar amp. I guess you could use the setting without the pad if your amp was not

too loud.

XLR:

Cannon Type X connector (smaller in size). "X"

With a Latch to hold the plug in. "L"

Female contacts held in a Resilient polychloroprene compound. "R"

reference:

http://www.soundfirst.com/xlr.html

while it's become a generic term, was once specific to the Cannon company's product.

pin 1 is the shield ground, where pins 2 and 3 carry the hot and cold (positive and negative) balanced signal. pin 2 is usually the hot (+) pin. [rolleyes]

if is out of phase (i.e. if you have a crossed up cable, etc.) then pins 2 and 3 could be reversed: i've actually purchased cables NEW where this was the case...

hth,

D

I've done three live recording with my GoMic and when I'm using the PA for vocals. I have it on the unidirectional / cardioid settings.

When I'm recording live, I play quite loud... Just imagine a VOXAC50 on 7........ So that would give you a pretty good indication how loud the PA system is. The trick is positioning the GoMic in the right area. It will take some experimenting to get the best room mix possible, and as long as you keep the signal out of the red, you can get a nice recording of live stuff.

1) The GoMic picks up everything.... even breathing. :blink:

2) You don't need the GoMic right in front of a speaker cab to get a quality sound

Archived