Gibson Brands Forums

pick up magnets

brownsound

hello got a pair of early 70,s gibson t top pick ups. they have a 7.4 and a 7.74 ohm reading have not installed them yet as my vintage gibson embossed covers are being gold plated and are not back yet.

anyhow my question is magnets . how critical is the strength of the magnets . they seem kinda weak compared to some of my other pick ups and there ability to grab things like paper clips and strings. i have seen video on you tube of people re charging there magnets with rare earth magnets does it make a diffrence the strength of the magnet pull. please pick up gurus chime in. thanks

Well, this topic can open a whole 'nuther can of worms, but:

Unless your pickups have been exposed to a high current transformer, or some other really really strong magnetic field,for an extended amount of time, the original charge on your magnets should last a lot longer than you will. Look at all the 50's models that are still out there going stong. They may weaken over time, but, it takes years and years.

Well, this topic can open a whole 'nuther can of worms, but:

Unless your pickups have been exposed to a high current transformer, or some other really really strong magnetic field,for an extended amount of time, the original charge on your magnets should last a lot longer than you will. Look at all the 50's models that are still out there going stong. They may weaken over time, but, it takes years and years.

That's true. There's no real need to try to charge your magnets unless you have a gauss meter and can see that they have suffered some sort of damage. Alnico loses it's magnetic power at a rate of less then 1% per hundred years.

That's true. There's no real need to try to charge your magnets unless you have a gauss meter and can see that they have suffered some sort of damage. Alnico loses it's magnetic power at a rate of less then 1% per hundred years.

okay sounds good to me im going to use them as is then and enjoy. thank you for the information and the input

Archived