Gibson Brands Forums

re-fret?

Larsson

Hey guys,

so the past few months ive been playing my 90/91 Charvel import extensivley as i have been keeping it out of its case and in my guitar stand and i have noticed that the frets have been worn down a fair bit, i already noticed this when i purchased the guitar last year, and was wondering if maybe it is time for a re fret...

on the first 6 frets there are dinks, or groves, in the fret where the G B and E strings lie and throughout all the frets from 6 to 14 are almost flat for the majoirty or the fret, but ofc they are not touching the fretboard.

so i was wondering if it is time to re fret the guitar or just have it polished, if thats what you call it,

any feedback as always is greatly appreciated,

Cheers!

Larsson

Hey guys,

so the past few months ive been playing my 90/91 Charvel import extensivley as i have been keeping it out of its case and in my guitar stand and i have noticed that the frets have been worn down a fair bit, i already noticed this when i purchased the guitar last year, and was wondering if maybe it is time for a re fret...

on the first 6 frets there are dinks, or groves, in the fret where the G B and E strings lie and throughout all the frets from 6 to 14 are almost flat for the majoirty or the fret, but ofc they are not touching the fretboard.

so i was wondering if it is time to re fret the guitar or just have it polished, if thats what you call it,

any feedback as always is greatly appreciated,

Cheers!

Larsson

Larson,

I too have Charvels and they have huge frets and usually plenty to level, crown and polish. Check out my post on my Studio to Custom rebuild that is pinned to the top of the Lounge Forum. I go through the whole procedure ad the frets on the Studio were in terrible shape...

Andy

If the frets are not causing playabilty problems, buzzing and the like, just keep playing it until it becomes a problem.

Depending on the original height of the frets and how deeply they are grooved, you can usually have frets re-crowned once before replacement. At the risk of stating the obvious: The re-crowning operation involves filing down the frets to the lowest level of the deepest groove of the worst fret. Then the rest are lowered to keep them roughly the same height. At some point, re-crowning is no longer possible.

Archived