Gibson Brands Forums

Buying advice needed

dpowen

I am torn between buying one of the new 60's Studio Tributes and the Les Paul Studio Mahogany Exclusive. I absolutely adore the 60's Goldtop Tribute with p90's. But on the other hand the Studio Mahogany Exclusive has the all mahogany body and top which produces some great tones. I haven't seen much written about the Studio mahogany exclusive which is on sale at Musicans Friend for $899 and includes the Gibson hardshell case. Any advice would be appreciated.

I am torn between buying one of the new 60's Studio Tributes and the Les Paul Studio Mahogany Exclusive. I absolutely adore the 60's Goldtop Tribute with p90's. But on the other hand the Studio Mahogany Exclusive has the all mahogany body and top which produces some great tones. I haven't seen much written about the Studio mahogany exclusive which is on sale at Musicans Friend for $899 and includes the Gibson hardshell case. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hard for us to help you decide with no additional criteria. They're two totally different guitars. What type of music do you play? Is this going to be your only guitar? Only LP type guitar? I've never actually heard or played the Studio Mahoganys before, though I did own a normal "Studio" in the early 90's. No complaints about it, but nothing special. The "normal" Studio I owned was an all around good solid workhorse guitar. I would think the all mahogany body would put this more into SG territory, sound-wise. Hmm... maybe not so if these are chambered. I don't remember if they are or not. I did just get one of the 60's Goldtop Tributes. The normal Studios are just "Studios" (even the mahogany), but I do think the Tribute GT's are something a little special so that has my vote. But you gotta like the sound of P90's. And I wouldn't buy one sight unseen.

Guest BentonC

I can only offer advice based upon my personal preference, which would lean to the 60s Tribute. I'm a P-90 hound though, so that is really biased...

You really have to compare them both for yourself.

My 0.02c worth?

You already have a P-90 equipped guitar. The Studio would give you an additional tonal palette with it's 'buckers.

Just something to consider.

P.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think right now the studio is my choice in the satin black. I like the idea of the different sounds the studio will produce vs my p90 SG. The all mahogany body and top should have great sustain. The studio mahogany is chambered. Gibson says the guitar weighs under 5 pounds. Should I be concerned about the chambered all mahogany body?

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think right now the studio is my choice in the satin black. I like the idea of the different sounds the studio will produce vs my p90 SG. The all mahogany body and top should have great sustain. The studio mahogany is chambered. Gibson says the guitar weighs under 5 pounds. Should I be concerned about the chambered all mahogany body?

+1 on the decision to go with the Studio. Different PU's will give you a different tone. No concerns about the chambered body. I have one in my Classic Antique. Unless you have concerns that it does not have the maple top, which mine does. Don't know for sure about all mahogany chambered. Maybe someone else can offer some input on that.

personally, i would never buy a guitar without playing it and feeling it first. guitars vary so much that it is real easy to get a dog buying sight unseen. as far as chambering, there is sometimes a real difference and sometimes not, and this is an example. i have a chambered lp, i think the same one mentioned above, and it is very different sounding then an unchambered one, there is a certain tambre it has as a result of the chambering, but i have also played some that are chambered and i can't tell the difference. that requires playing the very guitar in question, and of corse whether you like the sound if you can tell the difference, again, requires playing the actual guitar you are thinking of buying.

another 2 cents- the advise above about buying something you don't have as opposed to buying something you have something close to, you might get to become attached to a new sound you might really come to love. good advise, of corse, and i would add that if you are buying something you don't own to get to know the sound, it is worth considering if the guitar is something that is traditional. the sg you have is a good example-it is biult the same way as a traditional sg. i think the one lp you mention might be a good choice in that it replicates a traditional lp gold top in construction and can at least allow you to get next to something that is a well known sound, furthering your understanding of what the fuss is about with those.

so, in that way i would give more wieght to something built the traditional way as opposed to a new concept, but most important, take the time to play as much as you can and have all the fun you can. it's more fun trying guitars you can actually buy and choose that way i think than buying online from a big box and taking your chances on how much you will like it. consider this-how many times have you tried a guitar and just fell in love with it? chances are better at that by laying a lot of different ones, even the same kind. and think of how many times you thought something would be great only to discover playing it it didn't really turn your crank?

there are major ethical differences between guitars and women you can take advantage of here. you can get more than one and you aren't doing anything wrong. they don't get jeolous of each other, and they don't get thir feelings hurt when you take them for a ride and decide you don't want to make it a long term thing or even take them home. but you can still fall for them.

Archived