Gibson Brands Forums

Epi P90 Wiring Question

CajunBlues

So I went to re-install the original p90 pikcups in my Epi LP Special last night... and I noticed that there are two wires -- a red wire and a white wire. Do both of these wires get soldered to the pot ? What is the difference between these two wires ?

one wire connects to ground (usually the top of the volume pot) and one connects to one of the tabs on the volume pot

what kind of guitar is it? how many volume and tone pots? if you let us know we can find a wiring diagram for you. [biggrin]

Cajun,

On mine, the white wire and the ground (shielding) are soldered together to the back of the pot.

The red wire is soldered to the leg of the pot.

Basically 1 is soldered with the ground to the back of the pot, the other single to the leg.

If you are ever not sure...color codes very...tape them in and try them. If the pickups sound "thin" reverse the wire that is paired with the ground.

Willy

Edit..Bigneil...you must type faster than I do!.. LOL

Cajun,

On mine, the white wire and the ground (shielding) are soldered together to the back of the pot.

Basically 1 is soldered with the ground to the back of the pot, the other single to the leg.

If you are ever not sure...color codes very...tape them in and try them. If the pickups sound "thin" reverse the wire that is paired with the ground.

Willy

Wow this post helps me A LOT... I left out that when I put the pickups back in I soldered white to lead, bare to ground, and red tied off.... When I did this the pickups had very, very, little volume... I think I will have re wire them... But at least now I know the low volume issue is likely due to incorrect wiring...

Cajun,

Willy

What! You mean I'm going to have to start using 2 fingers in stead of one! :rolleyes:

TypingMonkey.jpg

Archived