Gibson Brands Forums

Bent Bridge posts on 2 339's

singlecoil

I have purchased 2 339's from separate owners 2009 and a 2010. I notice with both the action is quite low but they both have slightly bent posts on the bridges. They lean forward toward the nut. Is this normal. Or did the previous owner not realize they had to hold the bridge level when tightening the 1st few strings.

I have seen this before. The SG in my Avatar had that issue. When I installed a locking bridge from Tone Pro. I had to take the existing posts out because they were so bent. Based on all that. Should I assume this is a common Gibson Problem. With the stock Bridges??

I am guessing I'm right but confirmation would be great.

I have purchased 2 339's from separate owners 2009 and a 2010. I notice with both the action is quite low but they both have slightly bent posts on the bridges. They lean forward toward the nut. Is this normal. Or did the previous owner not realize they had to hold the bridge level when tightening the 1st few strings.

I have seen this before. The SG in my Avatar had that issue. When I installed a locking bridge from Tone Pro. I had to take the existing posts out because they were so bent. Based on all that. Should I assume this is a common Gibson Problem. With the stock Bridges??

I am guessing I'm right but confirmation would be great.

Can't say I've noticed this on my 339 but I've not looked for it. I'll check next time the strings are off. I wouldn't expect to see a problem as the intonation would have gone out of adjustment. Just a thought........ What gauge strings were fitted when you bought them.

If the guitar intonates properly and the action is good, what's it matter?

Intonation you hit that right on the head. Plus it changes the bridge to neck angle ..I can't imagine it was designed this way. Although I've read several posts where complaints about the sloppy fit of the Bridge on the posts was mentioned.It's an easy fix if your at all mechanical. I just don't see the reason it should be an issue. Yet it is..Oh Well - New to Gibsons but starting to see real quick how they let the little QC stuff slide.

+1 BadBluesPlayer.....Cranking the stop bar down with the bridge set high can do it, and also, PLEASE loosen your strings before raising the bridge, because if you crank the bridge up like a gorilla while the instrument is tuned to pitch, well something has to give. And being that the bridge posts are as thin as they are, they usually will bend under the pressure. Not to mention that it will ruin your bridge by collapsing it, making the saddle radius more flat than the fretboard radius.

Archived