Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for a good camera

Acousticologist

O.K. then, the advice from the professional photographer is to buy a low end camera. Fine, you're the pro. But then again, you could take a photo with a pinhole camera and it would be good. You probably think that 1960 Leica viewfinder cameras are the best. Right?

Nonsense? I doubt it. I've been a photographer since about 1974. Big Deal. I've been playing guitar for forty years and I still suck. What does that say? Nothing. I can play an Epiphone guitar better than Joe Blow can play a Gibson. Does that mean that the Epiphone is better? Talk about nonsense!!

I'm an engineer and I can multiply with a slide rule. So what? I don't go around recommending people use a slide rule.

Well, there was no offence meant but, if you wish to get a bit stroppy about it;

Taking your points one at a time...

My advice was not to "buy a low end camera". Far from it. I'd appreciate it if you'd quote me accurately. As an engineer I'm sure accuracy is important to you.

See my first post on this thread (#6). I also suggest you read SGSpecialguy's following post (#7). That scenario is far more common than you may imagine.

The Leica rangefinders from the late '50s up to the present time are some of the best engineered cameras ever produced. Do you agree? However; 'Best Camera' is as debatable as 'Best Movie'.

One friend uses a Hasselblad H3 with a 50Mb back. Another finds the Canon EOS 1D Mk 3 (4?) suits his needs best. Different scenarios.

As you've chosen to start a 'date' argument; I was an amateur photographer since the late '60s. I've only been a professional photographer since '87. I, though not an engineer, can also use a slide rule. In fact calculators were banned from exams at school so we had to learn how to use slide-rules and log tables. I wouldn't say that makes me qualified to lecture you on your own views.

Whether yourself or Joe Blow can play better on your respective instruments is neither here nor there.

I'm a photographer who can make a photographic image using the Gum-BiChromate process. I don't recommend it for day-to-day work.

Say Cheese!

And try to be less argumentative. Discussion is good. Arguing is not.

[smile]

P.

Prechiatcha on natun nare. Guess I stepped in y'all's territory. Yup. Y'all must be breaking out the shine o var about now.

I dun recommendeded wunna them fangled up jobbies. What's youins' recommendin'? Them 50's Leicas?

Bottoms up.

You obviously got out of bed the wrong side today.

As there have been many people offering very good advice without my butting-in on them I'd say it's quite clear I don't consider this to be my territory.

I'll post my advice from post #6 for you here once more so you can try to read it again;

"...say about $100 for a compact - $450 for a high-pixel-count DSLR..."

The OP wants advice with regards buying a half-way decent camera; in part so they can show snaps on this forum. It's not to supply the front-cover image for 'Vogue'.

And for goodness' sakes what's with the cute lingo stuff? It just makes you look very immature.

P.

Get the best camera, you can afford. And...Learn How To Use It!

Technology, being what it's become...most cameras, even low end PS,

are pretty decent. What constitutes most great photos is the use of

one's brain, and eye. Train those, first...before spending a small

fortune, on Gear!

CB

Contrast is in light and shadow, in different colors; and in sharp focus and in blur.

Contrast, that is, light and shadow and different colors, are in the external.

Focus is in the camera's capabilities to record the external. The more light, probably the greater depth of distance a photo will have in focus. The more contrast in light, the less all will be revealed equally. The number of pixels is the number of possible bits of recorded light. Unfocused, their numbers are unimportant; too focused they may be inharmonious.

A photo can be like music; full of harmony, or full of clashing elements. Both have their place; both may be blended in one image.

The main difference is that a photograph is an unmoving slice of time and music always rides on time.

A camera is like a guitar. Its results may be brought by gentle handling and thought, or by a quick determination and near-violent creation; by thinking of specifics or by thinking of generality.

Experience reduces the need to think and to strive either for musical or photographic completeness. Talent places tones and timing appropriately with light and shadow. Skill combines the two and the artist with talent creates something far more than the sum of the components in his creation.

Any decently crafted camera or guitar can create good art; no decently crafted camera or guitar will create good art.

m

Archived