Gibson Brands Forums

TUSQ for Epiphone

bobmc

I have used the TUSQ products on 5 or 6 builds and have had no issues installing them, and am a believer that they enhance tone. Just tried to install one that was packed as being for my Epi (Dot) and the job turned to poop. I used a tried a true method (sand paper on my bench) and even the same bench I do all my work on, but this thing just got more cockeyed and off centered as I went. When I did get it sorta installed I hated the feel and really didn't hear what I expected from the product. Back to the stock nut for now. This was the XL model; maybe the composition is different?

Weird.

Well..The composition IS different. Last year I swapped the nut on my Epi 175 for the TUSQ XL and immediately noticed a BIG difference. The stock nut was inferior quality. Then I went for the "Full Monty" and replaced to USA electronics and Classic 57's. Turned the git into a super Blues/Jazz machine. I dunno about your Dot, I guess it depends on whats good for you in tone. :-k

If by XL you mean the Black XL, it sure is a different material - full of graphite I believe.

I find it's much less hard and just vaporizes when you machine it (sandpaper, file whatever), I wouldn't use one - in fact I bought one and started to fit it - I tossed it without even trying it because it felt so soft.

They're supposed to be very slippery, but to achieve this the I think they made the compound far too soft - just fit a nice white one and use chapstick as a lube, it's the only way to go short of bone, imo.

it sure is a different material - full of graphite I believe.

They're supposed to be very slippery, but to achieve this the I think they made the compound far too soft - just fit a nice white one and use chapstick as a lube, it's the only way to go short of bone, imo.

Correct!

This from Graphtech:

What is the difference between TUSQ XL and a TUSQ nut?

The biggest difference is that TUSQ XL is impregnated with Teflon; the lubrication prevents strings from binding in the slots. TUSQ is not. You get better tuning stability especially when using a tremolo or bending strings. TUSQ XL also has more of a midrange boost as compared to TUSQ.

http://www.graphtech.com/kbase.html?ArticleID=66

My interpretation of the mid range boost statement is that the high end is diminished due to composition.

Willy

Thanks guys. Full disclosure, I swapped tone caps for orange drops and stock PUPs for Burstbuckers 1&2 and I am knocked up by the electric tone.

I was expecting the BBs to be too aggressive, but I have them set a little low in the frames and find them responsive and articulate. And Boy Howdy when I dug in with my fingers (picking hand) did my amp sing.

With a new baby in the house I have spent a great deal of time with this guitar unplugged, so I am really familar with the tone. And like I said, I really dig the standard TUSQ performance, I guess the teflon is the difference. I'll order the plain jane TUSQ nut and try again.

Next step is aluminium tailpiece and lighter tuners.

Archived