Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Chambered Bodys any good?

MrAwesome

• 3 months later...

Well.... I have both, two Standard + Pro and one Traditional. I like them both equally as well for different reasons. They both sound great, they both play geat. Would I part with either of them NO. Just like I have several motorcycles and like my guitars, they all put a smile on my face and that's all that matters to me.

It comes down to the player. The player makes the guitar. The guitar doesn't make the player. As long as the guitar is set up properly, it shouldn't matter if it's chambered. Sure there will be subtle differences in tonality, but that can be easily compensated in many ways, via cabinet, effects, tone adjustments. But again, even if you're just playing straight guitar through a straight tube amp it ultimately comes down to the players touch and feel.

They will not sound the same, unplugged or with the same pickups. But the question of which is better is highly subjective, much like "Which is better-- blondes, brunettes, or redheads?"

As Nik said, go listen to and play (preferably for an hour or so) several combinations and see what feels and sounds right to you. If you don't like it, it doesn't matter what anyone else says.

Redheads for the win!!

• 2 weeks later...

Redheads for the win!!

To set the record straight on chambered Les pauls and sustain.You will never get a chambered guitar to have as much sustain as a solid.The louder the guitar acoustically the more energy it has taken from the strings to make the wood vibrate.Of course with massive rock volume the amp refeeds some energy into the strings causing this do be a redundant fact.Maybe a redundant post Doesn't solve anything but never see any one touch on these facts when this discussion takes place.

To set the record straight on chambered Les pauls and sustain.You will never get a chambered guitar to have as much sustain as a solid.The louder the guitar acoustically the more energy it has taken from the strings to make the wood vibrate.Of course with massive rock volume the amp refeeds some energy into the strings causing this do be a redundant fact.Maybe a redundant post Doesn't solve anything but never see any one touch on these facts when this discussion takes place.

I take you have tested every chambered les paul against every solid one then?

:-k

My thought exactly.

That's a bold statement.

Especially around here.

:-k

My thought exactly.

That's a bold statement.

Especially around here.

Doesn't make sense to me either. If that logic were to hold true you could nail up a string to a mahogany tree, pluck it and it would sustain for hours. #-o

I believe it's a combination of the t-o-m bridge transferring energy and the characteristics of the piece of wood (rather than the amount) that determines resonance. Hence why I said above that one of the reasons they introduced chambering was to add artificial resonance to eliminate that unpredictable variability between woods.

• 2 years later...

Archived