Gibson Brands Forums

ay pickup sound test

guitar_randy

Got around to making a sound recording on my SG Standard with the Angus Young pickup played thru my Marshall.

I know I won't get any blue ribbons for me playing but here is the sound of th sg with the ay pickup played thru an older Marshall .Just playing bunch of different little bits and chunks and blobs.Does it sound alot diffrerent than a classic 57 or 57plus would?

guitar straight into amp

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=674630&songID=6862247

same as above only with boss od pedal

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=674630&songID=6862539

Does it sound alot diffrerent than a classic 57 or 57plus would?

The Angus pickup kills the stock '57 Classic in an SG, hands down. I like the Classic Plus, but the Angus seems to have a little more character, more cut and a better bass response. If I had the cash I'd probably drop one in all my SG's, I love the bark from my Angus Signature SG and would LOVE to hear what one would sound like in my Historic (although it sounds pretty friggin' good with the Burstbucker Pros in it) and my '61 Reissue w/Maestro. It's got a better 'chimey' sound when hitting big open chords, and lead parts sound so much more lively and fat. It does for the SG what the '57 Classic does for traditional single-cutaway Les Pauls, and compliments it well.

As far as what the other cat said regarding the amp distorting badly, I think that sound he's hearing is actually the compression from MP3 conversion, and that's the computer's fault. Or he's listening through crappy speakers and can't hear some of the other nuances to distinguish what's computer-clipping and what's really there. I do think the straight-into-amp sound is a little better than with the pedal. I sometimes put a Blues Driver in front of the clean channel of my Marshall AVT50 halfstack, and I can get pretty close to the same overdrive as the amp's 12ax7, but it's got a little clipping like on yours that's not there with the natural amp distortion. But either of those is better than most of the guitar tones I'm subjected to with some of the guys I hear play all the time (going after higher-gain, scooped-mid craptones). I love the bare-bones grind and soul of the SG-thru-Marshall. Can't beat it. :)

H-Bomb

In my opinion what you need is a decent amp - preferably one that does not drastically distort the sound.

This would definitely provide a better clue as to the true guitar sound rather than the amp's capabilities.

ahh

I thought maybe you'd like it.Its made in England,not America.

What amp would you recommend Apillock?

The Angus pickup kills the stock '57 Classic in an SG' date=' hands down. I like the Classic Plus, but the Angus seems to have a little more character, more cut and a better bass response. If I had the cash I'd probably drop one in all my SG's, I love the bark from my Angus Signature SG and would LOVE to hear what one would sound like in my Historic (although it sounds pretty friggin' good with the Burstbucker Pros in it) and my '61 Reissue w/Maestro. It's got a better 'chimey' sound when hitting big open chords, and lead parts sound so much more lively and fat. It does for the SG what the '57 Classic does for traditional single-cutaway Les Pauls, and compliments it well.

As far as what the other cat said regarding the amp distorting badly, I think that sound he's hearing is actually the compression from MP3 conversion, and that's the computer's fault. Or he's listening through crappy speakers and can't hear some of the other nuances to distinguish what's computer-clipping and what's really there. I do think the straight-into-amp sound is a little better than with the pedal. I sometimes put a Blues Driver in front of the clean channel of my Marshall AVT50 halfstack, and I can get pretty close to the same overdrive as the amp's 12ax7, but it's got a little clipping like on yours that's not there with the natural amp distortion. But either of those is better than most of the guitar tones I'm subjected to with some of the guys I hear play all the time (going after higher-gain, scooped-mid craptones). I love the bare-bones grind and soul of the SG-thru-Marshall. Can't beat it. [img']http://forum.gibson.com/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]

H-Bomb

Yep,I agree completely with it having better tone straight into amp vs the pedal.Only time I usually use that pedal now is when playing with the family home and being kind to their earsbecasue that gets loud as hell without the pedal.I think the pedal kills any bass and makes it tinny or too trebley sounding and just seems to kill the tone .

I also like less affsects and a Gibson thru an old Marshall just to me is the best tone around.I don't care for high gain or affects.Little reverb is ok maybe,but other than that,I think it sounds better without.

The real big difference I think I noticed after changing the 498t to the angus pu,is that the 498t would sound just sort of blended together where the angus is more defining,the mids and highs seem to ring out more.

Apillock is most likely looking to stir me up or get me to become upset.He's not credible to me as others here are.

I really liked your sound test! I'll be getting my AY pickup either on monday or tuesday (the store I ordered it from finally got it in stock, and sent it to me last wednesday) and this really made me more thrilled to get it. eusa_clap.gif

I really liked your sound test! I'll be getting my AY pickup either on monday or tuesday (the store I ordered it from finally got it in stock' date=' and sent it to me last wednesday) and this really made me more thrilled to get it. ](*,) [/quote']

Its a cool pu.Expensive ,but if you like it,its worth getting.

Putting it in your faded?

Its a cool pu.Expensive ' date='but if you like it,its worth getting.

Putting it in your faded?[/quote']

Yeah, it's going to be put into my Faded. Indeed, it is a bit expensive, but I figured it was worth it after hearing samples like this.

has anyone put BurstBucker Pros in their SG? just curious... the Historics and Diablo have BB 1&2 no?

i'm probably in the minority that likes the 490R/498T (find em versatile, and good for modern alt as well as classic rock & blues - a wide range)... maybe down the road i'll swap them out... for now will keep them in there...

cheers

has anyone put BurstBucker Pros in their SG? just curious... the Historics and Diablo have BB 1&2 no?

i'm probably in the minority that likes the 490R/498T (find em versatile' date=' and good for modern alt as well as classic rock & blues - a wide range)... maybe down the road i'll swap them out... for now will keep them in there...

cheers

[/quote']

Nothing wrong with liking what you have in there either.

I know alot of people don't like the 498t.I didn't hate it ,but I knew there would be other pickups I'd like in there better

Yeah' date=' it's going to be put into my Faded. Indeed, it is a bit expensive, but I figured it was worth it after hearing samples like this.[/quote']

I'm glad if the sound samples helped you or anyone in giving an idea of what the angus pickup sounds like.Thats really why I posted it.I searched far and wide to find samples before I bought mine.Didn't really find any sound samples that really demonstrated it like I wanted to see,so,I hope anyone wondering can find this and help them decide.

In my opinion what you need is a decent amp - preferably one that does not drastically distort the sound.

This would definitely provide a better clue as to the true guitar sound rather than the amp's capabilities.

Still waiting Apillock to hear your recommendation of a decent amp.

Are you trying to think of one?

Finish with what you started please

i'm probably in the minority that likes the 490R/498T (find em versatile' date=' and good for modern alt as well as classic rock & blues - a wide range)... maybe down the road i'll swap them out... for now will keep them in there...

cheers

[/quote']

There's nothing inherently wrong with the 490/498 setup at all. I just don't think they have quite the character the Angus pickup has, but I wouldn't say they sound bad or anything. I used to love my '97 Standard with them, it was my "modern music" and "Drop-D" guitar for my Monster Magnet/Soundgarden type stuff, as newer tones and the drop-D tuning sounds a little tighter with them versus a lot of other pickups. I actually put a set of Burstbucker Pros into my Historic SG Standard, and they're pretty awesome pickups. All the tone of the "heralded" BB but with wax potting so those of us who love it loud and dirty don't scare people off with the squealy feedback. I still prefer the Angus though for those pronounced upper mids, but the BB Pros sound very cool, better than the '57 Classics (which in my opinion only shine in a Les Paul, much as I think the 500T only sounds good in a Flying V for some reason).

Of course let's not forget that it's actually kind of hard to make an SG sound BAD. It's a nice plank of mahogany (not a lot can go wrong there), and I'm sure even those triple-single-coil models have a sweetness all their own. And with a little tweaking even cheeseball pickups would be usable in them. I dropped a really bad set of DiMarzio copies into a '72 SG Deluxe back years ago, just to see what they'd sound like, and while it was hands-down one of THE ugliest albatrosses I'd ever seen, it sounded just like you'd expect, even with those godawful cream-coiled hunks of magnet.

H-Bomb

ahh

I thought maybe you'd like it.Its made in England' date='not America.

What amp would you recommend Apillock?[/quote']

There's an Bluesbreaker amp for sale at MGleedsds@aol.com for $ 9800.

"History/Notes The above amplifier although originally having a catalogue/model number is Affectionately known as the marshall bluesbreaker, this is based on Claptons legandary/iconic guitar solos on John Mayalls (Bluesbreakers) "Beano Album", the tone + sound of his original 60 Les paul +++ marshall (bluesbreaker) combo is simply legendary."

It sounds like a bargain to me. The pics alone are worth a look.

Regards.

There's an Bluesbreaker amp for sale at MGleedsds@aol.com for $ 9800.

"History/Notes The above amplifier although originally having a catalogue/model number is Affectionately known as the marshall bluesbreaker' date=' this is based on Claptons legandary/iconic guitar solos on John Mayalls (Bluesbreakers) "Beano Album", the tone + sound of his original 60 Les paul +++ marshall (bluesbreaker) combo is simply legendary."

It sounds like a bargain to me. The pics alone are worth a look.

Regards.[/quote']

Theres an amp for sale at an email address?

Sorry about that. It's a music shop called Music Ground dealing in quality stuff in Leeds, Yorkshire, England.

I can't find their website, if they have one.

I'm sure if you requested pics and details from the email address they would be sent.

I don't think I would recommend them though - although they do send me some very tasty looking ' museum quality' guitars information and pics.

I think what you meant to say, Randy, is "$9800 for an amp??? Surely you jest." :)

The minute I have that much to spend on an old amp, I'm gonna' buy a new Custom Shop one-off SG, a Marshall JTM 45 REISSUE head and tall 4x12, and put a nice down payment on that 2010 Camaro.

H-Bomb

I think what you meant to say' date=' Randy, is "$9800 for an amp??? Surely you jest." =P~

The minute I have that much to spend on an old amp, I'm gonna' buy a new Custom Shop one-off SG, a Marshall JTM 45 REISSUE head and tall 4x12, and put a nice down payment on that 2010 Camaro.

H-Bomb[/quote']

Yea.

Apillock just like to play games.

His contributions on the forum or anywheres else I've encountered him on the internet are frivolous

Archived