Gibson Brands Forums

Scored my first LP today

Jared Purdy

• 2 weeks later...

Great Story! Congratulations on the new Axe. So basically you like the sound of a weight relieved Gibson LP...? Interesting...

It is rather funny when you start to think about the way a good guitar comes into your life. I had a 2002 1960 Classic that I bought new, but never really loved.

A couple of years ago I came across an add on CraigsList where this guy was selling a Gibson LP Standard Premium Plus with a 60's neck! It looked great in the pictures and the price was right for that guitar, so I decided to take a look at it. I went over there, Played it and Immediately fell in love with it so I wrote him a check for $1600. I took it home with the intention of selling my Classic to help pay for it. Well after getting it home I did some research and came to the conclusion that it wasn't a Standard Premium Plus but rather a 2005 Standard Faded Model in Tobacco. Heck, I'd never even heard of that model at the time....

So I called the guy back and told him what I had found and that it wasn't the guitar I thought I was buying. He immediately offered to not cash the check and take the guitar back, which was cool. But I had a dilemma, I REALLY liked this guitar and I didn't really want to part with it. So I asked him if he would come down in price. He really didn't want to and touted how great the guitar was and it was worth every penny, which I agreed. But I stood my ground and said it wasn't what I purchased. About 15 minutes later he gave in and tore up the original check and I wrote him a new one for $1400. I also got the strap locks and a nice leather strap he had been using with it.

Within a week I had sold my Classic for..... $1400! I broke Even!!!

So in the end I got a guitar I wasn't looking for, and It didn't cost me anything. I couldn't be happier with how things went down. IT was meant to be.

Since then I've played upwards of 50 different Gibson Les Pauls. None have impressed me as much as this one, which still gives me goose bumps.

Archived