Gibson Brands Forums

Scored my first LP today

Jared Purdy

Well, I got my Mesa LSS back from the tech who was looking at it to see why it was blowing rectifier tubes and fuses, as the amp is only 2 months pold and it has been doing this since about 3 weeks after I got it. I had a feeling that unless there were obvious scorch marks on the circuit board, he wouldn't find anything. And, sure enough, he didn't.

So I told the manager of the store what the findings revealed, and I said that I was very uneasy with the amp as every time I turn it on, I wonder if something will blow. He said that he didn't think anything was worng with it :0, and that it was likely the faulty power tubes, that had been recently replaced, that was the culprit. To be fair, since the last rectifier went about three weeks ago nothing had happened, and I was beginning to think that he might be right. Still, I was uneasy with this $2000 amp, and he was appreciative of my unease, so he suggested that I hang on to it for a few more days and see what happens.

So, yesterday after work, I did a little playing, then turned it off, and then came back to it a while later and played for about 1.5 hours. I was thinking how much I loved the sound of it with the Strat Deluxe, and I was getting quite use to the idea that I just got a bad batch of tubes. I turned it off, and came back to it about 1/2 hour later and flipped the power switich ands zzzziiiipppppp! Pilot light is out! Blew a fuse. I was in disbelief, so I grabbed a spare, tossed it in, and watched the rectifier tube as I flipped the switch, lightening storm in a bottle. Pop! Another fuse.

Well that was it. I called the store in the morning and said that I was done with it. They didn't have another, which I was glad for as I had lost my appetite for this amp. There were no other amps in the store that I wanted. Sure they carry all of the usual Fender, Marshall, Peavey, etc. suspects, but if I'm going to get a BF, its not going to be a reissue, not at least after a Mesa LSS.

So, what to do, let $2250 bucks in credit sit there?? I started wondering around the store thinking that I have wanted a second guitar for some time now. But what to get? I saw that they had a new 62 Tele reissue, the one with the binding around the body, in sunburst. It is absolutely gorgeous. I plugged it into a DRRI, and while it was nice, I found it a bit thin after playing my Strat Deluxe for the last year. Beautiful guitar though, but not now. Then I decided to take a peak at the Les Paul's. They had the Standard, which I wasn`t crazy about. I don't see the need for locking tuners, I didn't like the guitar input that has a lock on it, and while it was lighter, and the neck marginally narrower, I wasn't keen on the sound. So I picked up the Traditional, in cherry burst. What a honker. That thing is a pig. I'm not sure what it weighs, but I'm glad I'm 6' and 190lbs, and I have a good back. Thats a lot of mahogony, boy. I plugged it in to the DRRI. Holy Sh!t. That guitar has girth all right. What a sound. It sounded fantastic through the DRRI (I might just have to rethink that amp with the LP).

My Strat Deluxe now has a play mate, his name is Les Paul Traditional. I am so looking forward to getting that Swart AST Master!

Well, I got my Mesa LSS back from the tech who was looking at it to see why it was blowing rectifier tubes and fuses, as the amp is only 2 months pold and it has been doing this since about 3 weeks after I got it. I had a feeling that unless there were obvious scorch marks on the circuit board, he wouldn't find anything. And, sure enough, he didn't.

So I told the manager of the store what the findings revealed, and I said that I was very uneasy with the amp as every time I turn it on, I wonder if something will blow. He said that he didn't think anything was worng with it :0, and that it was likely the faulty power tubes, that had been recently replaced, that was the culprit. To be fair, since the last rectifier went about three weeks ago nothing had happened, and I was beginning to think that he might be right. Still, I was uneasy with this $2000 amp, and he was appreciative of my unease, so he suggested that I hang on to it for a few more days and see what happens.

So, yesterday after work, I did a little playing, then turned it off, and then came back to it a while later and played for about 1.5 hours. I was thinking how much I loved the sound of it with the Strat Deluxe, and I was getting quite use to the idea that I just got a bad batch of tubes. I turned it off, and came back to it about 1/2 hour later and flipped the power switich ands zzzziiiipppppp! Pilot light is out! Blew a fuse. I was in disbelief, so I grabbed a spare, tossed it in, and watched the rectifier tube as I flipped the switch, lightening storm in a bottle. Pop! Another fuse.

Well that was it. I called the store in the morning and said that I was done with it. They didn't have another, which I was glad for as I had lost my appetite for this amp. There were no other amps in the store that I wanted. Sure they carry all of the usual Fender, Marshall, Peavey, etc. suspects, but if I'm going to get a BF, its not going to be a reissue, not at least after a Mesa LSS.

So, what to do, let $2250 bucks in credit sit there?? I started wondering around the store thinking that I have wanted a second guitar for some time now. But what to get? I saw that they had a new 62 Tele reissue, the one with the binding around the body, in sunburst. It is absolutely gorgeous. I plugged it into a DRRI, and while it was nice, I found it a bit thin after playing my Strat Deluxe for the last year. Beautiful guitar though, but not now. Then I decided to take a peak at the Les Paul's. They had the Standard, which I wasn`t crazy about. I don't see the need for locking tuners, I didn't like the guitar input that has a lock on it, and while it was lighter, and the neck marginally narrower, I wasn't keen on the sound. So I picked up the Traditional, in cherry burst. What a honker. That thing is a pig. I'm not sure what it weighs, but I'm glad I'm 6' and 190lbs, and I have a good back. Thats a lot of mahogony, boy. I plugged it in to the DRRI. Holy Sh!t. That guitar has girth all right. What a sound. It sounded fantastic through the DRRI (I might just have to rethink that amp with the LP).

My Strat Deluxe now has a play mate, his name is Les Paul Traditional. I am so looking forward to getting that Swart AST Master!

congrats!

how about some pictures? [biggrin]

-Don

Congrats on the purchase, and as stated above, photos are REQUIRED around here.

I hope you have as many good years and good times with your LP as I have mine. I bought mine on August 23, 1976, and it's still with me. In fact the guitar has aged WAY better than I have.

Congrats on the purchase, and as stated above, photos are REQUIRED around here.

I hope you have as many good years and good times with your LP as I have mine. I bought mine on August 23, 1976, and it's still with me. In fact the guitar has aged WAY better than I have. I am having an insane time trying to upload images. Every file sive I chose is too big.

Hi, and thanks for all of the cudos. It is a magnificant piece of equipment. I look at my CD collection and I wonder how many of the guitars on those discs were recorded with LP's. Most definately all of Duane Allman's music, and that has to stand for something. As for the images, I am having a bugger of a time getting them loaded. everytime I upload I am told that they are too big, and I have gone down to some pathetically small res here.

Congrats on the find and sorry to hear about the amp.

Thanks, and yes, I am sorry about the amp as well. I loved that amp with the Strat, though I was not too impressed with the sound, at the same settings, with the LP. I would consider buying it again, as with the Strat Deluxe, it's as if they were made for each other, and I would buy it for that guitar. When I plugged the LP into a LSS in another store today, I thought the tone was terrible. I had the tone controls on the guitar at full, and controls on the amp set to how I use it on the Strat. It was flat, and extremely mid sounding. There was no life to it. The LSS can be difficult and timely to dial in at the best of times. I'd hate to have to do it on two completely different guitar. I'd like to hear if other LP Traditional players have used the Mesa LSS and what their experiences were.

And, another. I was not allowed to add more than one to a single post. Well, forget this, I am only allowed to upload an image that is 31KB, and for that I can't be bothered.

you can link in larger pictures though: just upload to flickr, photobucket, etc. first. and then link it in..

even if the pic is small though, that's a nice looking guitar! :)

Thanks, and yes, I am sorry about the amp as well. I loved that amp with the Strat, though I was not too impressed with the sound, at the same settings, with the LP. I would consider buying it again, as with the Strat Deluxe, it's as if they were made for each other, and I would buy it for that guitar. When I plugged the LP into a LSS in another store today, I thought the tone was terrible. I had the tone controls on the guitar at full, and controls on the amp set to how I use it on the Strat. It was flat, and extremely mid sounding. There was no life to it. The LSS can be difficult and timely to dial in at the best of times. I'd hate to have to do it on two completely different guitar. I'd like to hear if other LP Traditional players have used the Mesa LSS and what their experiences were.

Hope you love it as much as I do mine bro...what finish did you go with? Love stories when someone finds that "special" guitar.

you can link in larger pictures though: just upload to flickr, photobucket, etc. first. and then link it in..

even if the pic is small though, that's a nice looking guitar! :)

Ah, photobucket! Yes, I can do that too. Though I'll leave iof for tomorrow. I'm burned out on trying to up-load images! I'd rather play my LP.

see how god works? you were directed toward that axe by curcumstance that you could not have planned. thats a great story. i get it.

my 1st flametop: i had a buttload of guitars but never had or saw the need for an lp. there had been times i looked for a goldtop for the p-90s. one day, i am killing time in a music store, i got freinds who work there. (but really, i just love being in a music store). didn't need another axe. i told my buddy, "i'm telling the truth, you know i don't need another axe. what are the chances you think i'm gonna find something i need? the only way that would ever happen is if you gave me something that had so much soul i could'nt stand it." sure enough, here he comes with a p-90 equiped flame top. perfect neck. great color. i couldn't stand it.

so, i go home, tell my woman about it. she ask me why i need another guitar. i explain i don't of corse, it is just too nice and i have the money. she says it's your money. a couple days later, i call her on the way home and tell her i'm gonna be late cause i'm buying the axe, she says fine. but regardless, i get home and i'm in the doghouse. that meant the basement.

so, being in the doghouse, i have to have dinner by myself and entertain my self, which i am good with, i got my first flametop. i go to the store, and i get a mag, and it happens to be billy gibbons on the cover. how cool is that? i'm set. at the time, my boss was into guitars and buying them like crazy. so i call him to share my purchase, thinking he will be proud of me. a call him, and he says "guess who i'm here with?" guess who. billy gibbons.

aren't you glad things worked out for you that way? you can always find another amp, and that one didn't sound good with your lp anyway.

Thanks for all the cudos guys. I camera'd out and too much sake to to attempt a reshoot and download right now, I will definately do that tomorrow though. By the way, it says on the forum page that this post has been moved. Moved where, and why??

Thanks, Jared.

Hi and congrats on the Trad. Great instruments.

... By the way, it says on the forum page that this post has been moved. Moved where, and why??

Thanks, Jared.

It's now in the section relating specifically for Les Pauls.

If you haven't already discovered the "How To Post Snaps" post here's the link;

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/11005-sticky-how-to-post-photos/

Looking forward to the snaps when you put the guitar down...

P.

Thanks, and I`m loving the guitar. I`m currently playing it through a 1975 Fender SFPR. It`s nice, but I think my Strat Deluxe sounds better in that amp. Still, that didn`t stop me from bringing the LP along with the SFPR to my mother`s for the long weekend! I`ll post some more shots later when I get home. Thanks for the link on posting images.

IMG_2046.jpg

IMG_2043.jpg

IMG_2042.jpg

Hi and congrats on the Trad. Great instruments.

It's now in the section relating specifically for Les Pauls.

If you haven't already discovered the "How To Post Snaps" post here's the link;

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/11005-sticky-how-to-post-photos/

Looking forward to the snaps when you put the guitar down...

P.

Ah! Thanks, yes that makes sence! I finally got around to uploading a couple of image (through photobucket). Thety are HUGE!! And, they are also a little grainy as I shot in available light at 6400ISO. I'll take some more, close ups, in better light, lower ISO.

Archived