Gibson Brands Forums

Necks Vary on 335?

nickammo

I went to two different stores today and played 3 different 335's. All guitars were ES-335 Dot Glosses. On paper, all guitars should be the same. However, I noticed that each guitar has a slightly different neck. Guitar one was rounded and almost felt like my Standard SG. Guitar 2 was slightly flat on the middle of the neck. Guitar 3 was as if someone took a file and went down the middle of the neck to make it flat. I preferred guitar 1 with the rounded neck the most. None of the guitars had the 59 neck. My question is...

Do the neck on 335's usually vary this much?

Guitar one was priced excellently, slightly over 2K. The guy said he was trying to move it to make room for new inventory. Money is tight. I could make it happen and purchase that guitar, but it would make things tight for a few months.

Do I HAVE to purchase this guitar NOW because I will never find that rounded neck again or can I wait until my money situation is better as it shouldn't be that difficult to find a completely rounded neck?

its really your choice. guitars come and go, eventually you find one (or a bunch) you really like

some 335s vary in necks, but its what YOU like. if you can go for it without hurting the wallet,

go ahead. ask if you could finance it, but if not, wait for the day to come. youll get it [thumbup]

All necks on every Gibson will feel different due to the fact that after rough machining, the final sanding and shaping is done by human hands. I played 3 Gibby's recently with the 50's neck, one feels like a perfect half circle, one feels like they only rounded off the squareness leaving it to feel mostly like a 2x4 and the other feels like a soft, thick V. :)

Archived