Gibson Brands Forums

So if i wanna put two p-90's in a guitar...

dem00n

the "proper" value is all over the board, and there is nothing wrong woth using 500k if you like the sound. if you are going for the most typical sound, 300k for sure. 500k looses a lot of fatness they are known for. and even with 300k, they are going to be a very loud pickup. the p-90 has a strong association with vintage gibsons, and if you are thinking of the sound of, say, a goldtop, or perhaps a t-bone walker sound, or george theoregood, then that would be 300k.

you might want to consider a rewire and a 50's style curcuit. the change in the way the volume and tone knobs may take getting used to, but you might be happier with the results as far as tone goes. all origional p-90 equipped gibsons were wired that way. personally, i have noticed a big difference. the wiring and caps i think really bring out the color and the punch of the p-90. even the switch to the braided coax up to the switch made an improvement.

if you are wanting to tweak with the tonality, it might be easier to do it with the cap rather than changing from 300k to 500k on the pots. most poeple seem to be using a value of .022, even though .047 is the most proper vintage spec, and it makes a big difference no matter where the tone control is set. your guitar most problably has .022 now.

i would encourage you to change everything and see what you think, but you may not want to go through all that, and there is certainly nothing wrong with doing some now and some later, or experimenting. however, though, 300k is going to be the best starting point, and the closest to a correct p-90 sound.

the "proper" value is all over the board, and there is nothing wrong woth using 500k if you like the sound. if you are going for the most typical sound, 300k for sure. 500k looses a lot of fatness they are known for. and even with 300k, they are going to be a very loud pickup. the p-90 has a strong association with vintage gibsons, and if you are thinking of the sound of, say, a goldtop, or perhaps a t-bone walker sound, or george theoregood, then that would be 300k.

you might want to consider a rewire and a 50's style curcuit. the change in the way the volume and tone knobs may take getting used to, but you might be happier with the results as far as tone goes. all origional p-90 equipped gibsons were wired that way. personally, i have noticed a big difference. the wiring and caps i think really bring out the color and the punch of the p-90. even the switch to the braided coax up to the switch made an improvement.

if you are wanting to tweak with the tonality, it might be easier to do it with the cap rather than changing from 300k to 500k on the pots. most poeple seem to be using a value of .022, even though .047 is the most proper vintage spec, and it makes a big difference no matter where the tone control is set. your guitar most problably has .022 now.

i would encourage you to change everything and see what you think, but you may not want to go through all that, and there is certainly nothing wrong with doing some now and some later, or experimenting. however, though, 300k is going to be the best starting point, and the closest to a correct p-90 sound.

Yeah im going for .047 cap, though the guitar is only one volume and tone so its not really gibson style.

Archived