Gibson Brands Forums

being a songwriter...

Witmer

I've been thinking lately about a class of musician I've heard about, but only indirectly. I'm talking about the people who write music - hits even - but their songs make it into the mainstream as performed by other artists.

How does this work/happen? Does the writer sell a song to some publishing company the way an author sells a book, then the publisher/label hands it off to an artist? Is the songwriter always someone who knows the performer in question, so it's just a matter of "I'll register my song with a royalty organization, and you cover it?"

Can it be done on purpose, as an approach to the industry that's different from a band trying to make it big?

[confused]

Can it be done on purpose, as an approach to the industry that's different from a band trying to make it big?

Yes. People I knew back from the days I played in local bands now make a pretty good living just writing songs for others. I don't really know the details of how it all works though, but it's probably not any easier than making it as a band except I guess it matters less if you happen to be ugly, fat, bald or old.

Not that I have any real knowledge of this but I would speculate it is as competitive and hard to break into as getting record deals, and session gigs... But ...I am a believer if you want something bad enough and do whatever it takes, you have as much of a chance as the next guy. The most important thing I have learned in life is meet as many people as you can in life, make a good impression, be memorable for a good reason and you would be surprised how small of a world it is and where other people you have met have ended up....

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, and I don't mean this to be, but from I hear, its a really hard game to get into.

I just had to do a ton of research on illegal downloading and music piracy, and the people getting hit the hardest are song writers.Mainly because a lot of the money comes from royalties from record sales, which if people are illegally downloading, means no moneys for you.

I think it would be a really sweet job man, and best of luck to you

Archived