Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Recommendations

albatross5791

I am currently looking for a new guitar. I currently own a nice dreadnought guitar and am looking for more of a subtle, flat, "Nick Drake" sounding acoustic for finger style. I need something that works really well in the studio - as I will be working on an album extensively in the next six months. I have been looking at the Gibson CJ - 165 for a while now. The one that I played had worn out strings, but I loved the tone. So my questions are as follows A.) Would the CJ 165 provide the tone that I am looking for B.) With or without maple siding. C.) Being that Nick Drake is my favorite finger style guitarist is there any better suggestions?

I know its long!!! Any help would be much appreciated!!!

-Alba

Drake played a Guild M-20 which was an all mahogany concert size guitar (I believe he also used a Martin 000-18 at times)

Mahogany is an extremely dense wood and a mahogany guitar will have a strong high end but not a real resonant bass. They sound fat rather than bright. Blues players love them. Sorry, I don't see the Gibson 165 coming off like a mahogany guitar.

In Gibsons, ya might want to seek out an LG-0 which I believe up to the late 1960s were mahogany. Or you could track down an original 1960s Guild M-20.

Guitar builders seem to be "rediscovering" the mahogany top guitar. I know Taylor made one and Martin came out with the D-15 (a mahogany dread).

Best advice is to try a bunch of instruments and see which comes closest to putting out the sound you are looking for.

Then again, if you like the Gibson 165, then you are all set. I would definitely go with a rosewood or mahogany back and side guitar though.

Archived