Gibson Brands Forums

Laney Amps

tazzboy

I've been looking at these as well as Marshall's and was wondering what people's take is on these amps.

I can only comment on what I have, but if it is of any help...

I have a Laney VC -15. It has a Jenson speaker and is all valve and 15 watts. I also have the Fender Blues junior, a similarly priced amp and also 15 watts, so they make a good comparison.

The Laney to my ears has more of a sparkling tone than the Fender and i know traditionally it should be the other way around, as Fender cleans are wonderful, but the Laney excels in this area. The distortion is very old school sounding and a humbucker guitar with a boost can get some really dark sounding distortion!

I will pm you a clean demo of it!

Matt

I have the Laney LionHeart head with the matching cab. The head is amazing, nice cleans and really good crunch, with usable reverb and eq. I preffer my AC30 but mainly because I already have everything set up for it, but when I have to play guitar->cable->amp, I go with the LionHeart.

Mine is made in the UK and it's all tube (class A I think), there are some tube models that are made in China (and are way cheaper) and mantain the quality. There are lots of low budget models that are solid state and/or hybrid and made in China too, they go from 50 bucks up I think (the UK made LionHeart is about 1K for the head only, if I remember correctly)

Archived