Gibson Brands Forums

UK Transforner for a vintage US amp?

Spot

Can anyone recommend a good UK 240v USA 110v step down transformer? Do I need to look out for anything specific or will one like this do?

Allows you to use your USA (110v)

Accessories and Equipment in the UK

Thermal Fuse Protection

Robust ABS Housing

CE Approved

Input 230V

Output 110V

Output Power 45VA

Transforner

I've just bought a '70's Fender Champ amp and don't fancy blowing up my new purchase!

[biggrin]

I would think that that would work.........Perhaps you may want to put a power conditioner after it and before the amp as well.....That would require a 110 conditioner...

Something like a Furman....This would be an extra cost, but I'd be concerned about the AC spikes that happen in most households....

I would want to protect a vintage amp of any make / model......................

I would think that that would work.........Perhaps you may want to put a power conditioner after it and before the amp as well.....That would require a 110 conditioner...

Something like a Furman....This would be an extra cost, but I'd be concerned about the AC spikes that happen in most households....

I would want to protect a vintage amp of any make / model......................

Thanks Damian, much appreciated...

I guess you mean a surge surpressor when you talk about a "power conditioner"

no?

Guest FarnsBarns

I have a 220v to 110 volt transformer that I don't use. It gives you three US style 110v outputs, and I'm in London! Question is, do you have anything I want that you might want to swap it for?

I highly recomend a power conditioner. It is not only a surge protector but actually gives you a flat voltage and current and a very clean 50Hz. The thing is, legislation in Europe allows power providers to have an error margin of +/-10% on both voltage and frequency. at 220v and 50Hz that means you could be getting anywhere from 198v to 242v and 45 to 55Hz at your sockets. Furthermore, noise from electric motors in fridges, freezers, heating systems etc can create noise in your electricity supply which is not ideal for connecting an amp to.

You want one of these...

http://www.furmansound.com/index.php?div=03

Guest FarnsBarns

BTW - I just looked at that transformer you linked. That'll never do it, it'll over heat in minutes, your amp(lifier) probably pulls about 10amps(amperes), that little thing will handle a few hundred milliamps(amperes) maybe an amp(ampere) tops. the thing I have used, and still have somewhere is a large cylinder shaped thing about the size of a paint tin and weighs a ton (Lots of windings and large transformer cores).

This is it...

300va-stepdown-transformer-2-socket-large.jpg

I'm not a Fender expert by any means but I would be surprised if the Power Transformer didn't have a 220 Tap on it already. I know they make replacements that do for sure for about $50.. US. You might consider having a local amp tech check it out. Could be as easy as replacing the AC cable and moving a wire on the transformer. ( They are a very basic and simple amp so it shouldn't cost much) Then you don't have to deal with all the other mess....

Just my 2 C's

Andy

Archived