Gibson Brands Forums

Jimmy Page Wiring

FennRx

I have found a guitar tech who will perform the JP setup on my LP for $80 (plus materials). I found the schematic on Gibson's website, but I was wondering if anyone had or could find a list of parts I will need to have the mod done.

Thanks.

Wow this could be tricky.

I've seen Page kits all over the place including eBay.

The problem is the "long shaft potentiometers" that are in all of the kits won't fit a

regular Les Paul. They are meant for the Heritage Les Paul.

Some people modify the cavity to compensate for the lengths (carving the inside).

I tried to find long shaft push/pull potentiometers that would fit and couldn't, an electronic

place nearby said the could make them for me at around $40 a potentiometer. The

Jimmy Page wiring requires four push/pull potentiometers.

You can call 1-800-4-Gibson to verify cavity thickness and they'll tell you the Heritage is

more shallow and doesn't require the long shaft potentiometers.

I just check my notes from my Studio. Thread length 3/4 the total shaft length is 1 1/8. You

could use 20mm. The depth of the cavity is 5/8 and the grounding plate (not on all Les Pauls)

is and additional 1/8 thick.

Finding a B500k (linear [volume]) and have it push/pull is like searching for a unicorn. I'm sure if you were Jimmy Page, every other person would go out of their way to make it for you, but the

average guy you're in for some frustration. You can't use the Audio taper for volumes only for

tone (trust me).

I was hoping with the Robot Guitar, Gibson will soon be selling A500k (audio [tone]) long shaft

push/pull potentiometers currently they only have A500k short shaft push/pull. I have a feeling

that potentiometer is from a third party. Regardless hopefully one will be available soon.

So be carefull. Ask exactly what this guy plans on doing. Ask if he'll have to route or modify

the cavity. Ask if he's every done this before. See if you can be there when goes to do this for you.

That way you'll know what he did to the guitar.

I wish you the best, I spent this last summer trying to get the parts require for a slightly different

wiring setup but in the end finding the parts is the hardest part not the wiring. Good luck

If anyone knows where I can get long shaft B500k and A500k potentiometers that are 1 1/8 in

length please let me know, cause trust me this is a nightmare.

Archived