Gibson Brands Forums

Dakota On Death Bed

Rocky4

My 1998 Dakota with 169,000 miles on it took a turn for the worse this week. My oil pressure gauge dropped to zero at idle. This usually means overhaul time. With that many miles and an iffy tranny, it might be time to lay it to pasture. sad.gif

it just might be your oil pressure sending unit that's going south..... I had this happen on my 98 Cobra, and certainly it was a bit of a scare. But was relieved when I diagnosed it back to the sending unit...... Crazy what a $25 part can do to ya [scared]

it just might be your oil pressure sending unit that's going south..... I had this happen on my 98 Cobra, and certainly it was a bit of a scare. But was relieved when I diagnosed it back to the sending unit...... Crazy what a $25 part can do to ya [scared]

Good call, Duane. It could be the actual oil pump as well.

If your oil pressure dropped without hearing a big clunk and a bang, its probably nothing too serious. Usually the rods will start knocking before that happens.

I get it. I had a Ford that I just kept and kept, until one day, I was able to go on Craigslist and get the same thing for less money than it cost to do the maitinence. That is the nice thing about getting attached to a truck and keeping it for a long time.

Of corse, I did feel sad when I took it in to the donation center and said goodbye. I felt like I was taking my dog into the vet to be put down.

The pressure doesn't drop until after the oil gets warm which points to engine wear. I might have to look into fixing it, but not sure I want to drop the money in it. Between my wife and I we have four vehicles so it's not like I'm out of wheels, but I hate not having a truck.

The pressure doesn't drop until after the oil gets warm which points to engine wear. I might have to look into fixing it, but not sure I want to drop the money in it. Between my wife and I we have four vehicles so it's not like I'm out of wheels, but I hate not having a truck.

that can also be a sign of a bad oil-pump or sending unit..... just check it.

I have my dads 1959 Ford F-100, it isn't running right now, but it has a rebuilt 351C in it...I learned to drive in it..did a lot of other things for the first time in it :rolleyes:

It has to have close to 800K on it, it's on it's second motor which is pretty good...all it needs is a brake job, a slave cylinder for the clutch and some tires and she's ready to roll...

I've been thinking about slamming it and dropping the cab by four inches....

Archived