Gibson Brands Forums

Replacement footswitch

Silenced Fred

Try sending Matt at Chicago Guitar & Amplifier repair an email. Their website is now stating

We are currently not accepting solid state equipment or effects pedals. Please check the "Amp Repair" and "Guitar Repairs" pages for more information.

He might still look at your channel switching problem. It is really hard to find electronics people to look at FX pedals or amp switches. If Matt declines try Geoff Benge's amp tech. Have not dealt with him so I cannot vouch for him.

btw, what kind of connector is you foot switch: 1/4", XLR, or something different?

Yeah, just like that but the middle button controls the effects loop. Do you think that will work?

If your Sunn amp was made by Fender, yes. I would find a place that sells those foot switches and lug your amp down there. Pain in the ***, but well worth it.

My footswitch for the Sunn has been acting up a ton, it will go in and out and bounce between channels for no reason. Anyone know of a place in the Chicago area that will repair or an online place that makes replacement switches?

not sure what this looks like on the inside, but could it just be a bad solder joint or loose connection? this may not be too difficult to fix...

Let us know what you find. I wouldn't have expected a PCB.

I have a schematic (somewhere) of a footswitch for a Fender SCxD that is not a straight shorting switch. I built one myself, and it works fine. If you need it, I'll look for it.

Let us know what you find.

Let us know what you find. I wouldn't have expected a PCB.

I have a schematic (somewhere) of a footswitch for a Fender SCxD that is not a straight shorting switch. I built one myself, and it works fine. If you need it, I'll look for it.

Let us know what you find.

I believe its a PCB. When I get home, I'll take pictures. All the buttons are mounted on to a board. Whether it is a PCB, I'm not sure, but I can't get it out of there. If a standard Fender 3 button switch works fine, I'll get one off of Craigslist or eBay

Guest FarnsBarns

fd894a50.jpg

There is no way to get anything out of there. Fender emailed me back, and he said he would look into it but might take a while because my amp is so old... Mid 90s is so old? I'm old as dirt :)

Looks like the whole top panel with button, PCB and all with slide out of the grooves in the aluminium extrusion if you give it a tug?

Looks like the whole top panel with button, PCB and all with slide out of the grooves in the aluminium extrusion if you give it a tug?

Yeah... I figured that about 5 minutes after I posted the pic. Everything seems ok on there, might be the input jack. When the floor gets bounced around from bass, it will cut in and out

Yeah... I figured that about 5 minutes after I posted the pic. Everything seems ok on there, might be the input jack. When the floor gets bounced around from bass, it will cut in and out

sounds like a bad/cold solder joint.

Guest FarnsBarns

Coolio!

Now then, obviously bend the input jack slightly to improve stability and contact. That'd be a nice easy fix.

Now that it's out its worth having a look at all the solder joints with a magnifying glass. You are looking for a dark grey line, around the component leg, in the solder. If you see anything resolder that joint.

dry-solder-joints.jpg

It is best to use a de-solderer if you have/can get one, it's like a crude, spring loaded syringe with a trigger button that sucks hot solder out of the joint. If you cant do that just get the iron on there to melt the existing solder and add the tiniest bit of fresh, flux cored solder. The flux in this will help make a good joint. If there are not many solder joints you might want to just do them all while it's in pieces.

Seems you are making good positive progress!

Archived