Gibson Brands Forums

ES 335 Tuning

Prich ES 335

Just got a new ES 335 Block Inlay. Beautiful guitar but it seems to drift out of tune quickly. I realize there is string stretch but that should have passed by now. Just break-in, new guitar issues? Thoughts? Thanks in advance for any advice or knowledge.

I suggest a brand new set of high-quality strings, properly wrapped around the tuning posts, stretched manually (tune up, then pull each string away about an inch) tune and stretch again. Check and adjust intonation, if necessary (may be OK if same string type and gauge). And lube the nut slots, too (graphite from a #2 pencil). Remember to tune UP to pitch, not down, meaning that if you go sharp, go flat and come back up again. A defect in the guitar causing this is highly unlikely, as almost any guitar can be made to stay acceptably in tune.

"Tuning problems" are a common topic, but it's quite difficult to diagnose them on the internet, due to the many variables involved, including but not limited to strings and how they're installed, intonation, nut height and slots, neck relief, action, temperature changes, tuning method, and gorilla grip. But 99% turn out to be simple.

Good luck!

I suggest a brand new set of high-quality strings, properly wrapped around the tuning posts, stretched manually (tune up, then pull each string away about an inch) tune and stretch again. Check and adjust intonation, if necessary (may be OK if same string type and gauge). And lube the nut slots, too (graphite from a #2 pencil). Remember to tune UP to pitch, not down, meaning that if you go sharp, go flat and come back up again. A defect in the guitar causing this is highly unlikely, as almost any guitar can be made to stay acceptably in tune.

"Tuning problems" are a common topic, but it's quite difficult to diagnose them on the internet, due to the many variables involved, including but not limited to strings and how they're installed, intonation, nut height and slots, neck relief, action, temperature changes, tuning method, and gorilla grip. But 99% turn out to be simple.

Good luck!

Thanks for the nuggets of wisdom!

Hi

I got my es 335 block in January and I had the same problem. I took about 2-3 weeks. I changed strings 2 times, which I believe now was not necessary, and the set up (neck relieve and bridge hight about 3 times). I think the guitar just needed to acclimate to its new home (temperature, humidity etc.

I would agree that a guitar may have to acclimate to the temps and humidity of a new home but I think that the majority of time when people say that their guitar won't stay in tune it is due to a lack of knowledge in regards to string stretching and nut/saddle lubrication.

• 3 months later...

I would agree that a guitar may have to acclimate to the temps and humidity of a new home but I think that the majority of time when people say that their guitar won't stay in tune it is due to a lack of knowledge in regards to string stretching and nut/saddle lubrication.

So many 335's and 339's have tuning issues. My 339 had a tuning problem as well -- bend a string -- it went out of tune. I was spending literally more time tuning it than playing it.

I got some Nut Sauce (Dr, Bends Nut Sauce) from Musicians Friend and applied it generously to the nut grooves. That fixed it. Before you start getting into complex issues, apply some Nut Sauce or even some graphite -- even pencil shavings work well, but it will stain some.

Try the Nut Sauce first to rule out an easy Nut problem.

I got an ES-339 about 6 months ago. It is a 2007 and I am the second owner. The previous owner told me it stayed in tune perfectly. However, from the night I unpacked it through 3 changes of strings it kept going out of tune.

I installed a set of Grovers and used some nut juice and it has stayed in tune for the last two months.

Recently I purchased an ES-333 off eBay and that was also falling out of tune frequently. Again I installed Grovers, used nut juice and it has been perfect since.

I do think there is some truth to the whole acclimation theory but I also feel that the Gibson Deluxe tuners are inferior. The Grovers have been great on every guitar I have used them on...

Quick tip:

This just happened to me last week while playing a gig. I did a deep bend on the G string and the string went flat after. Almost panicked and was going to retune in the middle of a song; but I remembered about possible nut binding the string. So I just pressed the G string between the nut and the tuner... the string got back in tune.

So now I always lube the nut!

Archived