Gibson Brands Forums

'96 Sheraton II (korea) pickup swap

EADGBE

At the band volumes the Sheraton has an annoying habit to feed back even with the strings muted. When I crank my 15 watt tube amp the pedalboard hiss is enough to start the feedback, my palm resting on the strings. Same settings, no problem with my SG. Any suggestiond for fixing this?

I was thinking about swapping the pickups with the Gibson 490R and 490T I have left from my SG when I put Jazz/JB set in it (huge improvement). Especially the neck was a bit muddy in the SG but swithced parallel they were nice (4 conductors installed). What do you think about those in a Sheraton?

hollow, and semi-hollow body guitars do tend to feedback more than solid body guitars. Those 490r and 498t gibby pickups might be an nice upgrade to your sheri, but as for the question of will they feedback less, i do not know. Perhaps you could wire them in and give it a try and see how you like the sound and see if the feedback situation is improved.

Feedback/squeal is understandable in a full hollow body, but not with a semi-hollow like your Sherri. I have Seymour Duncan Antiquities in my Sheraton and play within ~2-3 feet of my tube amp with no problem...didn't have a feedback issue with the stock pups either. Did you say it squeals even with the strings muted? Maybe 60 cycle hum related somehow? Really puzzling, as the maple plank running through the middle is to help sustain and alleviate feedback. [confused]

Feedback/squeal is understandable in a full hollow body, but not with a semi-hollow like your Sherri. I have Seymour Duncan Antiquities in my Sheraton and play within ~2-3 feet of my tube amp with no problem...didn't have a feedback issue with the stock pups either. Did you say it squeals even with the strings muted? Maybe 60 cycle hum related somehow? Really puzzling, as the maple plank running through the middle is to help sustain and alleviate feedback. [confused]

you could well be right, OP mentioned noise from the pedal board setting it off, but i still fell that a semi hollow is still more prone to feedback than a solid body electric, especially under high gain applications.

EADGBE, what sort of music do you play? are you using high gain? what pedals are you using?

you could well be right, OP mentioned noise from the pedal board setting it off, but i still fell that a semi hollow is still more prone to feedback than a solid body electric, especially under high gain applications.

EADGBE, what sort of music do you play? are you using high gain? what pedals are you using?

My Laney VC15 with gain and volume @ 10 was enough, no pedals needed. Of course there's plenty of gain there. With the drummer and and another guitarist having the amps dials at 6 was enough to cause uncontrolled gain even with strings muted.

You say when the amp is on 10 or it could be as low as 6 with other players, so is it feeding back with no other equipment on? Does it change in nature depending on which pup you are using? What about different settings, like lower volume or tone settings on the guitar?

It is possible you have microphonic pickups. I think you might try the guitar into a different amp to see if it does the same thing, as well as seeing how easy it is to get the sg to feedback. That would help to isolate the source.

Bottom line with a semi is that it shouldn't be feeding back all that much more than a solidbody - maybe as a guess, 20 percent more sensitive - unless there's some other factor involved.

Short of turning my Dot to face the amp, it doesn't feed back any more than a solidbody. My full hollows are more sensitive and my AEs are darned sensitive to a number of factors that can be alleviated by amp settings and/or placement.

OTOH, I don't go nuts over adding gain most of the time - being an old guy and all.

There will be some degree of sympathetic feedback looping in certain areas of the sound spectrum and a degree of difference where that may be on different instruments. That's why a lotta acoustic amps have a dial that will selectively cut amplitude from a narrow band of sound... Mine does and it helps a lot.

But I can't feature changing pickups making all that much difference since it will be the body and then the body feeding into the pickups and the pickups to the amp, thence the sound from the amp back to the guitar body and...

Again, some AE setups have a phase control. A number of more recent Epis do. But they will work differently depending on distance from the amp and other acoustic conditions... So... even lacking that sorta control, it may add some variables to consider before changing pups to something that won't do much to change the problem.

m

jeepers stein! those -1s are uncalled for. Have you had any run-ins with any one lately?

lol..glad it's only the internet, right?

I don't know..a few bad jokes here and there maybe?

I usually woudn't mention it, but being as this is one of those "advise" threads, I kinda feel like there are "weird" elements happening.

While we all got stuff to learn, mostly when someone ask a question they are expecting real good answers because they want to save some effort before they go tearing stuff apart. Sometimes I wonder if those giving advise have actual experience or are just repeating something they read somewhere.

It's all fun. It's not like I don't get one for a bad joke that I deserve, or even some I don't get that I should get. I do think proper respect should be given to the poster though.

lol..glad it's only the internet, right?

I don't know..a few bad jokes here and there maybe?

I usually woudn't mention it, but being as this is one of those "advise" threads, I kinda feel like there are "weird" elements happening.

While we all got stuff to learn, mostly when someone ask a question they are expecting real good answers because they want to save some effort before they go tearing stuff apart. Sometimes I wonder if those giving advise have actual experience or are just repeating something they read somewhere.

It's all fun. It's not like I don't get one for a bad joke that I deserve, or even some I don't get that I should get. I do think proper respect should be given to the poster though.

I have never seen anybody get a minus for so little. It must be a bit annoying because you don't want to end up with a bad reputation for nothing.

I have never seen anybody get a minus for so little. It must be a bit annoying because you don't want to end up with a bad reputation for nothing.

lol..I gotta tell you, my rep has been taking a dive lately. I just kinda laugh at it because I think it's just a "fun" thing, this points rating system.

I also have seen some kinda borderline weird stuff on here lately that might be leaning toward immature or hate related. For the most part, I think poeple here are much better behaved than I would expect from a "guitar" chat room.

I just want to keep things in perspective-I don't care about rating so much, but I don't want to see it used for a pissing match, I want it to be used for fun.

I want to see poeple happy with thier sheritons and pup choices, and have the best experience they can get out of music, be it messing with equipment, or actually playing the equipment.

Good mix of guys here.

Stein... et al...

Frankly I haven't the slightest idea how to check whether I'm getting "minuses" or not - and don't really care one way or the other.

OTOH - on pickups and changing volume/tone knobs things... I've had enough experience to know how easily I can screw stuff up and try to help others not make the same mistakes. They can figure out their own after trying not to make the same ones I may warn about. <grin>

Frankly I think there are good reasons to change pups on an electric guitar. I think it's an awful lot easier on most solidbody designs than hollow or semi-hollow designs. But regardless of design, I get the heebiejeebies thinking about somebody using a screwdriver to pry knobs off any sort of wood.

I will admit freely, though, that I'm not at all sure why somebody will buy an new guitar of decent quality and then mod it into something quite different when it might be less expensive to buy another sort of guitar. My "Dot" seems to be of the newer pot/switch variety, but one I played a half dozen years ago seemed to have worked quite well with the older "cheaper" stuff.

Pot/switch swaps can do some good things, even on a new(er) instrument. But honestly, unless you can figure one of those reeeeally fancy swapouts for performance reasons, complete to push-pull pots, etc... I don't see it. I personally don't need it.

Don't take that as not being as much of a GAS type as I was when I was 20. I still am. Always will be.

But I think my spending priorities have changed a bit. It's keeping the basic guitar(s) and equipment in good working condition. With a tube amp, having backup fuses and tubes, something of a power conditioner to protect amps from spikes... I could feature spending a bit of cash annually on upgrades of PA mikes and speakers, cases... cleaning supplies and replacement cords of all sorts. A properly-fit hard case is mandatory, IMHO, and probably will keep you playing far better than new pups hauled in a gig bag.

Bottom line is... first priority is maintenance on stuff I might take out to play and the stuff - like cases and power conditioning - that protects it. Then backup. Then gadgets to record, upgraded stomp box type things...

Even in the olden days <grin>, I did a lot of buying of structurally sound but non-working electric guitars, doing reconditioning and selling them. I never made a major pickups. Never understood why.

m

jeepers stein! those -1s are uncalled for. Have you had any run-ins with any one lately?

Have your dog pee on it.

Bet you weren't ready for that, were you?

Actually I was ready for comments like that. That's why I kindly asked that they not be included.

eusa_whistle.gif

Mr. Milrod;

You are one of my favorites on here. I think it is invalueable for us "young" guys to be able to have an elder who is still passionate about such things as you do and be able also to have someone to look up to. The thing about being old, is there is experience there I don't think you get any other way. You know stuff that some of us don't even know we don't know. I like the "kids" too and I get a great feeling remembering what it was like and seeing them go. And for me personally, you kinda give me something to look forward to as I get older.

I am a tweaker, I get a thrill out of making things work better, and sound better. For me it is a hobby in itself. I am also extremely fascinated with how things work, and sound in general. I have done so much of this it is almost like a science to me, and I still find it fun to learn. But, I also know that not everyone is the same as me, not everyone has the same skills with thier hands, and I also know there is more that I don't know than I know. I'm the kinda guy that will buy a brand new guitar for the purpose of gutting the whole electronics, and spend 2x the amount on pickups just for the joy of spending a week of spare time wiring up each one and learning something. That does not mean I know how to wind a pickup to sound good, though. And I don't think that means someone else wants to do the same. I'm a freak.

When I get to share some of these things with others I get a little joy in that someone may get to benifit from my joy. Sometimes, we get caught up in the "pickup of the week" or such thing as we all think we can get some improvement by word of mouth, but such things are more misleading. But when someone wants to experience that in a reality, it is fun when it works.

eusa_whistle.gif

lol..BUSTED

Yea, that one is one of those where a -1 would be earned...but, importantly, I certainly don't want to hurt anyone. A joke is only funny if it doesn't.

Hey, I'm ok with -1. I'm not ok if I pissed somebody off or hurt someone.

Stein...

Actually two reasons I personally really like this board is that I get to "be around" younger folk who are also into guitars and guitar playing, and that I get to learn a lotta stuff about gear. Younger folks keep me from being the old hermit after work hours. <grin>

I think we all have a different "head" when it comes to how we have a guitar "hobby" even if we're professionals. I say that because a lotta stuff I do that evolved from my playing guitar isn't necessarily directly involved with pickin' or picking up new techniques and music.

For me, it's kinda looking at different ways to do a small performance with some computer assistance, getting gear that "fits" for a solo small room sorta venue, etc., etc. For you, it's messin' with the instruments. That's just as much fun in ways. I used to do sorta the same thing, albeit obviously not as into it as you are.

But on a deal like this... with this guy's question about feedback... I may be wrong, but I think it's something other than the pickups. I may be wrong, though, and you may be right - but I question that a change of pickup per se will solve his feedback problem. Unless, of course, there's something wrong in wiring, from pickup to the speaker in the amp. I dunno.

What I do know is that without the phase switch on my AE Epi, it screams like a banshee. My 175 feedback can be tamed either by moving my relative position to the amp or by messing with the little knob on my acoustic amp that selectively cuts output in a fairly narrow band of the sound spectrum.

So... my guess is that something in this guys amp is putting out a larger amount of whatever band of the sound spectrum elicits feedback from his guitar. As I said, I may be full of prune juice or the effects thereof... (No I don't really drink that. My Mom does. I guzzle coffee and OJ.)

I don't think a pickup change will make much difference for the guy. The suggestion to try another amp seems to make sense. But ain't there something other than the pickups most likely to cause feedback, unless the pickups themselves are promoting more in a certain sound spectrum band?

m

I made a quick and dirty trial with a 490T in the bridge of the Epi. The high pitched feedback was greatly reduced, but it's still more prone to feedback than the Gibson SG. I'm not sure, but it feels like the sound was meatier and had more hollowbody character with the Epi pup.

I made a quick and dirty trial with a 490T in the bridge of the Epi. The high pitched feedback was greatly reduced, but it's still more prone to feedback than the Gibson SG. I'm not sure, but it feels like the sound was meatier and had more hollowbody character with the Epi pup.

It seems that is a good indication the main source of the feedback problem is the pickups.

Sinse you seem like you are skilled and unafraid to to tackle the pup changes, you may be able to adjust any tonal variations with a different cap if you like some things about the pups.

I'm totally self taught on wiring guitars, so my purely technical knowledge on the subject may be lacking, but it seems to me that wax potting pickups to reduce micro-phonic feedback could also allow micro-phonic feedback if it wasn't carried out properly in the first place. As an example, say a large air bubble had formed during the potting process, this could lead to the unimpregnated section of the coil still able to produce the feedback.

Please correct me if I'm wrong (I wanna learn), but couldn't the above situation cause a greater than normal chance of feedback that would be caused entirely from a faulty (poorly wax potted) pickup.

Archived