Gibson Brands Forums

1961 Les Paul

Gibson SG

We all know in '61 the Les Paul body design was shaped to look like what we know as the SG today.

They never sold the single-cutaway model until 1968.

But, was there ever a 1961 Les Paul single-cutaway perhaps made by mistake?

Or was it strictly the SG body style?

Does anyone know about a 1961 single-cutaway?

I am just curious.

Thanks [smile]

Gibson stopped making the origional and turned production to the SG, and they have kept records so we know exactly how many were made. When they refer to the year, it is the year made, not the year sold. It is highly unlikely they would have made a one-off during that time period fron '60 to '68. If one came up, it would be a great surprise to collectors and freaks, and may prove to be difficult to authenticate.

• 1 month later...

A few 1961 Les Paul (not SG) Standards and Customs exist, yes.

Now we are intersted.

You can't just throw that out there and not tell us about it. That's like teasing.

Why, how, and what's the story.

A few 1961 Les Paul (not SG) Standards and Customs exist, yes.

I have been around guitars an awful long time, and I will assume that you have too. Once Lester and Mary seriously moved to divorce, there was no more Les Paul guitar, and I have not ever even heard rumor of one made after he wanted no more with his name on it. Moderne, Corvus, Red and Black top/light mahogany back late 50's one offs, these I have heard whisper and seen drawings of. But a Les Paul past their decision I have not. Unless that decision was made later than I thought.

It was also always my understanding that the production numbers of circa 8 - 900 per year in the late 50's have been preserved through few company writings that survived a fire at some point, that actual shipping paperwork from those days was lost. The company is here, may or may not want to say anything about it, that's ok too. I think Bacon says records gone. I could, as usual, mis-remember.

rct

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/vintage-les-pauls/2791-1961-burst.html

That's just the one link I recall off hand that mentions it. I remember several references to '61 Customs but can't remember where. Gibson isn't exactly a company that follows the calendar to a T. They don't make changes precisely at 11:59 on Dec 31. Some changes happen throughout the year. LP production may have ceased in January 1961. Who knows?

That's just the one link I recall off hand that mentions it. I remember several references to '61 Customs but can't remember where. Gibson isn't exactly a company that follows the calendar to a T. They don't make changes precisely at 11:59 on Dec 31. Some changes happen throughout the year. LP production may have ceased in January 1961. Who knows?

Duchossoir says "a couple" standard bodies were leftover at the end of 1960. I'd probably like more than a picture of a guy on his porch holding a Standard face front to believe that guitar is a 1961 standard.

Duchossoir has only an asterisk and the words "about 50" single cut Customs MAY have gone out in the earliest 1961 shipments as the bodies were used up. Makes sense that folks would run into a Custom now and again, however,it is important to note that neither Duchossoir or this company actually has a number of Customs that went out, just "about 50" MAY have gone out. Them ones known about must be documented as all h377 is alls I'm sayin here.

rct

Cool. I checked it out, but I remain highly skeptical.

I don't claim to know, but what I understand is that production did end before 1961, and they were already making the SG. I also understand that it is actually known how many were made for each of the 3 years.

If a 1961 Standard did appear, it would mean a change in common knowledge, require updates on a number of publications, and may even bring question to accuracy of what is known. At the least, it would be a big deal.

Regarding the link, it is a guy holding a guitar that is believed not to exist, and he is alluding to the fact it does. While I mean no disrespect to the guy, the thread goes on and no more mention or photo's of the guitar appear to back his claim, so I am pretty sure he was just stirring things up.

stein, I don't think the number of guitars made between '58 - '60 is actually known because most of the records were thrown out. I believe the number of bursts thought to have been made is based on shipping logs. That's one way to figure things out but I've seen shipping logs that were completely out of whack. I really don't care if any Standards were made in '61 because, even if there were, I'd never be able to afford one. [biggrin]

The guy here, Gibson SG, asked if any single cuts were made in 1961. I guess his question has been answered.

http://www.williesguitars.com/index.cfm/gibson_electrics/3/inventory/9/image/1

stein, I don't think the number of guitars made between '58 - '60 is actually known because most of the records were thrown out. I believe the number of bursts thought to have been made is based on shipping logs. That's one way to figure things out but I've seen shipping logs that were completely out of whack. I really don't care if any Standards were made in '61 because, even if there were, I'd never be able to afford one. [biggrin]

The guy here, Gibson SG, asked if any single cuts were made in 1961. I guess his question has been answered.

http://www.williesguitars.com/index.cfm/gibson_electrics/3/inventory/9/image/1

Ah, yes, that you for correcting me there. For those that care, that is the most accurate way to put it I think.

And, yea, nor will I be rushing out to buy one.

But, at least we may get to be able to have a chance at a legit reissue?

Archived